No Crow Rooster collar

Pics
In my experience, you can't train a rooster not to crow. Try to find a local person who can Caponizer or de-crow him. Also, yes the crow collars are icky and the vel- crow uncomfortable, for the first few days, but finding a good home for a rooster is next to impossible. Best of luck to you and him.

Also the Cock Collar from an Australia manufacturer, is made of softer material than the no crow collar in America,so that may be another option for you.

I have one on mine and I don't really like how tight you have to make it. But I live in the city and am not aloud to have chickens let alone roosters. He was sexes wrong but I don't want to have to send him to slaughter. It seems to quite him but he still crows pretty loud. But his feathers are breaking and now he has a bald spot. Don't know if its worth it just don't want him to become soup.

I have one on mine and I don't really like how tight you have to make it. But I live in the city and am not aloud to have chickens let alone roosters. He was sexes wrong but I don't want to have to send him to slaughter. It seems to quite him but he still crows pretty loud. But his feathers are breaking and now he has a bald spot. Don't know if its worth it just don't want him to become soup.
Try installing it per the No Crow Instructions. I found that placing the collar lower on the neck as opposed to high up by the throat, works much better at preventing inflation of the syrinx and tracheal air sacs. If the sac cannot inflate w/ air then the rooster cannot crow. Imagine it like a whoopie cushion - no air no sound. Too high up and you will choak your bird at the same time as he will be able to still crow. Many people complain about these collars not working, and thats mostly due to improper placement and/or not being the right size or tightness.

I hope that helps. I have also attached the No Crow Instillation instructions.

Try installing it per the No Crow Instructions. I found that placing the collar lower on the neck as opposed to high up by the throat, works much better at preventing inflation of the syrinx and tracheal air sacs. If the sac cannot inflate w/ air then the rooster cannot crow. Imagine it like a whoopie cushion - no air no sound. Too high up and you will choak your bird at the same time as he will be able to still crow. Many people complain about these collars not working, and thats mostly due to improper placement and/or not being the right size or tightness. I hope that helps. I have also attached the No Crow Instillation instructions.
Thanks so much I'll try moving it down more. I'm will to try anything

I would like to say that I live in a city and the velcro has worked great for all 10 of my roosters. I followed the instructions on the no crow collar sit. I made sure the size was right and it was fitted right. in my opinion they are safe as long as you are someone that spends a lot of time with your bird's daily. I loosen the collars so they fit more like a necklace at night before I put them in their nighttime coop. if they didn't go in a small area then I would take the collars completely off so they don't get caught on anything. in the mornings I tighten the collars making sure I have a finger width space from the front and the back of the neck and after about 10 minutes of them running around i recheck everyone's collars. I also check them throughout the day. using these collars would never be an option if my birds weren't constantly handled but since they are it has been a good success and as I said we have 10 roosters on a 70 foot by 100 foot lot in the city.

Apologize if this has already been covered but there are a lot of pages to sift through in this thread! Can anyone recommend a sizing guide or tell me what size collars I would want for bielfelders, barnvelders and orpingtons?

Apologize if this has already been covered but there are a lot of pages to sift through in this thread! Can anyone recommend a sizing guide or tell me what size collars I would want for bielfelders, barnvelders and orpingtons?
Swedish Flower,

A simple google search will answer your question. Just need to put in the "leg work".
In less than a minute i found this for you:

Sizing Guideline
Below are our sizing recommendations by breed. When in doubt, choose a size larger! (You will need 1.5 to 2 inches of "overlap" on the collar to ensure the velcro attaches properly.)
  • XS (4 inches) Class A Seramas only.
  • S: (6 inches) Small breeds like Class B and C Seramas, Bantam Cochins, Pekins, Game Bantams, D'Uccles, Showgirls
  • M: (8 inches) Silkies, Polish, Leghorns
  • L: (10 inches) Most large fowl birds, like Plymouth Rocks, Orpingtons, Marans, Cochins, Wyandottes, Faverolles, Barnevelders
  • XL (12 inches) Extra large birds like Brahmas, Shamos etc.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Chicken-Supplies/No-Crow-Rooster-Collar-p1580.aspx

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
i have been reading this thread and i am a little worried to try the collar on my roosters because of the illness they might get so i was wondering if it would help if i only put it on at night and take it off in the mid-morning.

Back
Top Bottom