No eggs, then one egg a day, then 2, and now eggs everywhere!

DianaMallory

Songster
8 Years
Jul 20, 2012
Lancaster Ohio
Ugg!
barnie.gif
Eggs in the poop board, eggs in the run, eggs on the floor and a few in the nest. I thought they would never start laying. Then I started getting one egg a day for about a month, then 2 for about 3 weeks. This past week I started getting 3. Yesterday and the day before eggs everywhere. In the run, on the ladder to get into the coop, on the poop board, on the floor. I can see spots in the litter where it looks like they are trying to nest in it. 11 girls. one rooster. I tried adding more light. Didn't help. Only after I fed them oatmeal, did this happen. Now if I can get them to all lay in the nesting boxes. It is like an easter egg hunt gathering eggs. They are 24 weeks old and I have 5 different breeds. I am wondering if maybe my nesting boxes might not be high enough off the floor. Any thoughts anyone? The boxes are about 1 foot from the floor. Oh I have the same litter in my boxes that I have on the floor, changing it today going to put straw or hay in them.

Last edited:
Yup, that's how it goes! It can take a month or so for everyone to settle down to a routine.
Likely the lengthening days is what spurred onset of lay, plus it's just the right time agewise for them.

Putting straw in nests is a good idea to differentiate from floor bedding......and some fake eggs or golf balls in a couple of the nests might entice them to lay in the nests.

For 11 girls I would suggest 3-4 nests. I don't think nest height is a problem.

Posting a pic or 2 of your nests might help folks spot any potential issues.

I tried the golf ball thing in the past with no luck. I did the light thing with very little changes, then I fed them oatmeal and it was like that kicked the egg production into full steam ahead. I used it with all my other flocks with good results. I wasn't feeding this flock oatmeal every morning like I did my past flocks and I didn't have a rooster in the past. I always had the same breed in the past that were Comets and they were all laying by 20 weeks and started as early as 16 weeks. I always got very large eggs before to some of these are on the small side. Every once in awhile I remember getting a small egg but never like now. So I am adding oatmeal to these guys on a regular basis. I will get some pics of my nesting boxes tomorrow, it is dark out now so I can't. Thanks for your response.

I really don't think you are having problems. 24 weeks isn't really that far behind for starting to lay. That's really dependent on the breeding and individual chicken anyways. I'm having trouble with low production and it over tripled when I started feeding oyster shells in addition to the layer ration, people on these forums will say supplemental calcium is not needed with layer ration, I must strongly disagree.

Last edited:
I guess I am spoiled from my past flocks I have 4 of that breed out of 12 in this new flock. I never used oyster shell before, I save my egg shells and mix them with their feed when I have a calcium problem. But so far my eggs look good. I got 5 today and all were in the nesting boxes. Didn't get pics today tho, to cold out to mess with it. I will try to remember tomorrow.

I guess I am spoiled from my past flocks I have 4 of that breed out of 12 in this new flock. I never used oyster shell before, I save my egg shells and mix them with their feed when I have a calcium problem. But so far my eggs look good. I got 5 today and all were in the nesting boxes. Didn't get pics today tho, to cold out to mess with it.  I will try to remember tomorrow. 
my eggs always looked ok too as far as having a strong enough shell on the eggs I did get but the egg production was way down. Adding free choice calcium got me from 6 to 12 eggs per day out of 30+ hens to 19-23 eggs per day. I don't believe layer has enough calcium to promote good laying

Last edited:
my eggs always looked ok too as far as having a strong enough shell on the eggs I did get but the egg production was way down. Adding free choice calcium or me from 6 to 12 eggs per day out of 30+ hens to 19-23 eggs per day. I don't believe layer has enough calcium to promote good laying
Have you ever tried feeding them oatmeal? It is suppose to increase egg production. And I think it works my past flocks were all comets, I gave them oatmeal just about every morning for a treat and out of 18 girls I got 16-18 large eggs a day. Along with layer feed. I would mix it with applesauce or any vegetables that I need to clean out of the fridge. I gave them yogurt every once in awhile. I wish I would have stuck to the comets, but dummy me wanted a variety. But here are some pics of the nesting boxes and the winter wonderland that I woke up to this morning.

Have you ever tried feeding them oatmeal? It is suppose to increase egg production. And I think it works my past flocks were all comets,  I gave them oatmeal just about every morning for a treat and out of 18 girls I got 16-18 large eggs a day. Along with layer feed. I would mix it with applesauce or any vegetables that I need to clean out of the fridge. I gave them yogurt every once in awhile. I wish I would have stuck to the comets, but dummy me wanted a variety. But here are some pics of the nesting boxes and the winter wonderland that I woke up to this morning. 
did you ever not feed the oatmeal for a period of time to see how they laid without it? I would think the red sex link breeds, if from good laying stock could be expected to lay those numbers anyways? I am considering getting some of that breed this year as even with their increase in laying they are still only at about 50% of the number of hens I actual have I would think I should pretty easily get 30+ eggs per day but 22 is a good day for me

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom