No one to feed/water chickens?

Dalolly

Hatching
Nov 5, 2015
Scotland
Just something quick - I'm sorry if this thread is on the wrong part of the forum and if it is please direct me to the right.

Me and my family are going on holiday for a week and we needed friends/neighbors to feed our chickens (and a rabbit) at least every morning. But no one has volunteered and ones who really would like to look after them are unable to as they life about an hour away from us. We hinted to our neighbors which are usually always enthusiastic in helping us that we needed someone to just check if there is enough water and put out their feed for them which we would've pre-made so they don't need to. But they haven't offered to help and i'm really worried because this is the first time I've gone on a proper holiday to leave the pets.

Yours Sincerely,
A worried chicken owner

to be honest, I dont think the neighborhood kids in my area are to be trusted, and my street is mainly elderly couples.

How many chickens do you have? have you considered buying and hanging one of those 20lbs feeders? As for the water, you can grab a large bucket and put some of those chicken nipple watering things on the bottom of it. I have two of each and it works fine for me. I have 18 chickens and with two large feeders and two large watering buckets, I don't have to refill anything for about a week and a half.

I did think of that idea and just give them lots of food to last a week but the problem is that they are very greedy chickens. Luckily, I only have 4 of them so it shouldn't be too bad.

Thank you.

Get a kiddy pool and fill it with water, dehydration kills quicker than starvation, that would be in addition to all other water sources.
They make dog feeders that plug in and feed a metered amount of food each day... try one out before you leave then keep it if it works, they hold between 5-7 days food *(individual compartments that twist to the feed drop when the timer goes off)

I'm afraid a kiddy pool would take up quite a bit of space in our run. But I do agree that water is a little more important as the days here are getting warmer and the chickens seem to be drinking more now. I'll keep what you've said in mind though for future purposes, thank you.

They are very easy to make on your own.

Back
Top Bottom