No rooster but broody hen.

The question is, what do you want. Do you want more chicks (are you able to handle more chicks),do you want her to stay broody, or would you prefer to break her?

If breaking her is what you'd like, then @Lacy Duckwing has given you some great tips.

If you'd like for her to care for some chicks, or hatch some eggs, then do what @Mrs. K has given you a good plan to follow. Roll away nesting boxes aren't the best nesting boxes for a broody hen. As you've already discovered, she's having a hard time keeping eggs under her. You'll have to either wait 21 days or so, and give her some chicks, or move her to a nest more suited for brooding, and hope she doesn't break
I will need to break her of her broodiness.

Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.
She is on the nest most of the day but never the same nestbox from day to day. Not sure at night ,I will have to check tonight.

If she is still laying which she must be ( just 1 egg under her, if she gets up they rollaway) is this just the beginning of being broody? If she never gets a clutch of eggs would that break her being broody?

If she is still laying which she must be ( just 1 egg under her, if she gets up they rollaway) is this just the beginning of being broody? If she never gets a clutch of eggs would that break her being broody?
With one of my brooders, she'll start being broody while still laying eggs for the first few days of her brooding cycle. To me, that's odd behavior for a broody hen, but my hen has so many things messed up with her (mentally/hormonally) that I'm not too surprised. It's what I refer to as "talking broody" which is basically the hen acting broody with the broody cluck without actually sitting full time and being a full time brooder. Talking broody is typically a hen getting ready to go broody or is being bullied. From what you've said with your girl, I'd say it's just her being broody. You may have another hen laying on top of her, as she won't leave the favorite nesting box.
On your second question, no. It's highly unlikely. She went broody without eggs, so she'll be determined to sit without them as well. If a brooder sits for too long, she'll eventually die from starvation and dehydration because she's not eating and drinking as much. Putting her in broody jail is the best thing to do for her.

Update on my broody. For the last 3 to 4 days I have moved the hen out of the nesting box and remove all eggs 3 to 4 times a day and I think this may have done it. She's been out in the run with the others most of the day, once in awhile I hear her broody chatter but is still out and about with the others. I did make a 24 x24" cage for her to sit in jail for a few days, hopefully I don't need it this time. :D

Back
Top Bottom