Normal eating behaviors

Good to know! Maybe I'm missing something....but why do you hang it?

That way they can have access to it on all sides since I have quite a few wanting to chew on it at one time. It's kinda like tether ball but with a cabbage head instead.
big_smile.png

A typical day for my geese involves roaming the property eating their favorite grasses and weeds with occasional stops at the food bowl for some flockraiser. Other than regular naps, they are on the move all day long, in all weather. Mine don't like extras other than a little bit of apple, some peas at bed time, and birdseed that has been knocked to the ground from the feeders by the birds. We do get some snow in the winter but it doesn't stick around for a super long time.

So glad the water helped with the eating, they just love it! My geese love anything green, especially lettuce and watercress. I floated some watercress I bought in the stream that comes from a spring here, and then covered it with wire mesh. They worked away at it until they managed to get to the watercress and eat the lot! Fruits, they like mango and melon. and papaya. There´s a native tree here that produces a very small fruit which is like a tiny peach, but a bit tart in its flavour. The geese like that, too. And apple, of course, but not tomato. And not pineapple, maybe too acid for them. They have a go at bananas, too, which is good as there are loads around! But their favourite is grass and greens. I hang cabbage for my turkeys, it keeps them occupied. I don´t do it for my geese, but I think I´ll try it, it would be funny.

I am noticing that people in different states as well as Countries feed different things to their geese. This is interesting to me because this gives you more idea's of foods to try with your geese or goslings. Mine like tomatoes. So this is good when we share what our geese eat. We can learn new things from each other about what geese will and won't eat.

I had bought a beautiful pink weeping crabapple tree and we had put fencing around it. Well the geese stretched their necks out as far as they could to eat the tender twig limbs. Then proceeded to the trunk. I paid $125.00 or more for their treats of my tree.. Yes, they killed my tree!
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom