North Carolina

Hello everyone. I'm looking to move to the Carolinas next year and was looking for some suggestions. I'd love to find a small home/cabin on a few acres in the mountains but would like something where it doesn't drop below 30 or if so, very rarely. I haven't been up there since I was a kid so need some help on what cities/counties allow chickens without restrictions. Thanks in advance. Tammy

Hi, y'all! I've lived in Laurinberg, NC since July. I love it!
I have my new chicks-6 guineas, 10 red broilers and 6 various layers and 3 bantams. I also have 7 mallard ducklings, about 12 weeks old.
I'd like to find a source of Dorkings next spring, and also plan to purchase some other breeds that weren't available this summer, including OEG bantams, Egyptian Fayoimis, buttercups and maybe some dark egg layers. I'm also planning to get some heritage turkeys.
What I'm really looking for is peachicks. Our property is 21 acres of woods with a 3 acre pond. I really miss my peafowl that I used to have. I raised them from 1997-2004 and also had male peafowls for about ten years before that.
I've never really had any time of my life without poultry or birds. Even while in the city of Mesa, AZ, I had layers, turkeys and broilers.
Working on building one of my three coops right now. I'd like to convert a large,old swingset. This will end up being my broiler coop after I'm able to get my laying coop done. I will also need something to house the mallards.
I assume the guineas will live in the trees and the peafowl will live on the barn roof, as they did in the past. This winter, I'll have a proper hen coop, brooder and horse barn built.

I have my new chicks-6 guineas, 10 red broilers and 6 various layers and 3 bantams. I also have 7 mallard ducklings, about 12 weeks old.
I'd like to find a source of Dorkings next spring, and also plan to purchase some other breeds that weren't available this summer, including OEG bantams, Egyptian Fayoimis, buttercups and maybe some dark egg layers. I'm also planning to get some heritage turkeys.
What I'm really looking for is peachicks. Our property is 21 acres of woods with a 3 acre pond. I really miss my peafowl that I used to have. I raised them from 1997-2004 and also had male peafowls for about ten years before that.
I've never really had any time of my life without poultry or birds. Even while in the city of Mesa, AZ, I had layers, turkeys and broilers.
Working on building one of my three coops right now. I'd like to convert a large,old swingset. This will end up being my broiler coop after I'm able to get my laying coop done. I will also need something to house the mallards.
I assume the guineas will live in the trees and the peafowl will live on the barn roof, as they did in the past. This winter, I'll have a proper hen coop, brooder and horse barn built.
Welcome to NC....you will love it here I hope! I'm from OK/Tx but have spent most of my life out here with my North Carolinian hubby. Sure is strange terrain compared to AZ but you have the beach near at hand and the mountains close enough for a good time! People on here are all very helpful if there's anything you might need to find out about poultry and this environment. Have you checked out the town ordinances or do you live in the town of Laurinburg? NC is really strange sometimes....Raleigh and Charlotte for instance, allow chickens but Rocky Mount does not! In fact, Raleigh just advertised about their annual coop tour!! Take care and let us hear from you.

Welcome to NC!

Bhep does peas and there are a few with turkeys, what kind you looking for?

In Peafowl, I just like the common blues the best. In turkeys, anything but white, and not the broad breasted bronze, since I'd like them to reproduce without needing AI.
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I love it here. Went to the beach once and when we get settled, hope to get back to scuba diving. My husband is a scuba instructor and I'm a Divemaster.
I've lived in CO, IA, WY, CA, WA, OK ( twice) and AZ. Most of the moves were from when I was active duty. Hubby hasn't lived anywhere except the Phoenix area since he was little. He's enjoying becoming a country boy.
Right now, just hanging out at home, waiting on a security clearance to start my job at Fort Bragg. Trying to get a couple of gardens started ( tough with all the tree roots and very little sunny spots) and I think I'm going to try, for the first time, making a coop. Hubby doesn't want me using the saw but he promised to make the cuts if I give him a list of what I need.
Has anyone made a swing set coop here? Our place has a very large swingset ( two sections) and I'll never use it. If I'm successful, I may try a shed for my horse and a duck house.
Anybody have ducks afraid of water? My ducklings won't get past the first few inches of the pond. There supposed to be eating all the watershield,grr!

Well, Bhep also has bourbon red turkeys. Coopscoop has sweet grass turkeys. I have royal palm and also bronze crosses (brown/grey mixes). Might be others with peas and turkeys. What type of horse you got?

Back
Top Bottom