Northern Bobwhite Quail Hatch-Along and Questions

Quail Stack

Songster
5 Years
Jul 4, 2018
Clinton, New Jersey
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I'm hatching Northern Bobwhite Quail and wanted to share my journey with others on this site. The eggs started incubation on July 2nd, 2018, and are expected to hatch on the 24-25th. I'll be putting pictures of the Embryo development every 2-3 days here, and show some pictures of the hatched chicks whenever that happens.:woot

These are the Day Three Embryo images. It's very hard to see in the pictures, but there are dark brown spots on two of the eggs, which I believe are the embryos developing.
IMG-5566.JPG IMG-5567.JPG IMG-5568.JPG IMG-5569.JPG
The next set of pictures will be posted on the 6th.

These are the Day Five Embryo images. As you may see, three out of the four eggs show definite signs of development. For instance, you can see the embryo as a small curve, You may also see the quails' veins spreading out from the body.
JumboEggDay5.JPG SmolEggDay5.JPG OvalEggDay5.JPG EggyEggDay5.JPG
All the pictures of the eggs will remain in the same order as the start so that you can watch the individual developments. The next update will be on Monday, July 9th.

Here are the Day 10 Embryo images. The first image egg shows promise, the small triangle seen in the egg may be beak development. The second image egg, however, shows little to no signs of growth. The ovular egg, as always, shows outstanding growth, as we were able to see an eye and a rough shape of its head. The final egg has me worried, the very dark patch seems strange, and possibly defective.
JumboEggDay10.JPG SmolEggDay10.JPG OvalEggDay10.JPG EggyEggDay10.JPG
Friday the 13th marks the halfway point in the incubation period. I look forward to posting soon.
P.S. - If anyone knows anything about the strange 4th egg, please leave a response!

Here are the Day 12 Embryo images. The first image looks as if it's still developing well. The second, however, shows no development. The third image has me very excited, for you can see an outline of the body. The final egg still confuses me on what's going on inside that shell.
JumboEggDay12.JPG SmolEggDay12.JPG OvalEggDay12.JPG EggyEggDay12.JPG
The next time I'll be posting will be Monday, July 16th, the 15th day of incubation. If anyone has an idea of what may be happening to the fourth egg, please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom