Northern Climate Winter Hardy Aviary Birds

Big Pine Aviary

Hatching
Jun 22, 2021
Starting a new discussion about aviary birds that can handle cold winters. I’m in Michigan where it gets pretty cold and I see a lot of advice in other post about how some birds aren’t winter hardy when that’s not the reality. I’m looking for input from people that live in cold climates and keep birds outside all year without heat. If you don’t live in a cold climate and you don’t keep the birds yourself please don’t comment about something you’ve read or heard. I would like a thread with real experience. Please share your state and softbills you keep outside.

I’ll go first, I’ve kept/keep Canaries, European Goldfinches, Button Quail and Ringneck Doves outside all year round without heat.

I keep cockatiels,diamond doves rosellas,and bourkes parakeets outside year round with no heat.i am in N.H. and I am sure our weather is pretty close.
My theory in providing heat is.if you provide heat your birds do not produce the proper down to keep them warm,then if the electricity goes out and you lose heat,your birds are sure to die.What I do is I keaving them uncovered until temps hit 30 degrees and then I poly their pen.Dont poly it to tight as you may start seeing moister build up,this will produce bacteria in your pen and you do not want that.
In N.H.,Tony

Not an aviary, but wild ring neck doves live here year round... I first saw them about 5 years ago and it startled me since Mourning doves migrate and I was trying to figure out why there was a dove in my yard in January in North Dakota. Are the wild ring neck doves the same as domestic>

Not an aviary, but wild ring neck doves live here year round... I first saw them about 5 years ago and it startled me since Mourning doves migrate and I was trying to figure out why there was a dove in my yard in January in North Dakota. Are the wild ring neck doves the same as domestic>
No they are European collared doves, a related species.

Back
Top Bottom