Not again 😣

Pics
I'm still using pills, I did try once with bread but she HATED it....
Wet cardboard?
Yum.
Fresh bread?
No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Whenever I can't get the full dose into treats, I crush the pills, mix with a tiny bit of water and syringe it down. It's not ideal, but it's worked okay so far
I'm way behind on this thread but I wanted to ask how you're giving the tablet? Not trying to critique you or anything like that. I've had to give Honey BooBoo so much medication and it took a while to find what works best for us. Of course as you know all too well that what works for one, probably won't work as well for the next 😁 To give my big ducks medication, no matter if it's tablets, capsules, or liquids being syringed, I place Honey with her bill facing in a close corner. I then kneel behind her (actually kind of over her, facing the corner), with the inside of my legs gently holding each wing down to her body, my knees on the ground on each side of her. I cross my feet behind her with my toes pointing to the ground, to keep her from putting that fluffy booty in reverse. Then I lift her bill up, so it's pointing to the sky, and gently use my fingertips to pry her bill open. Using my headlamp, I can get a great view of where to place my syringe or the capsule/tablet. Once I send the meds down the shoot, I close her bill, still keeping it pointed to the sky, and gently rub her neck a little bit, and then release her bill, back off quickly, and offer treats.
This is a very quick process and it's very gentle, even if it sounds horrible. I promise it's not. I feel like using a corner is very helpful, at least for me. I'm short at 5ft even, and I'm still able to kneel over my Pekin without any pressure being applied to her back. < That was my main concern whenever I first attempted it but my knees hold any and all of my weight. She tried to back up the first few times but then I found crossing my feet and even sitting my bum on the back of my feet/my ankles, keeps escapes from happening.
I admit that I am the world's worst at descriptions and summarizing, so I'll go ahead and apologize. If you're already doing this, my apologies for taking up so much of your time with my long winded post. If not, I hope this helps. Your girls are lucky to have you. I wish you and your girls the very best 💜

Last edited:
I'm way behind on this thread but I wanted to ask how you're giving the tablet? Not trying to critique you or anything like that. I've had to give Honey BooBoo so much medication and it took a while to find what works best for us. Of course as you know all too well that what works for one, probably won't work as well for the next 😁 To give my big ducks medication, no matter if it's tablets, capsules, or liquids being syringed, I place Honey with her bill facing in a close corner. I then kneel behind her (actually kind of over her, facing the corner), with the inside of my legs gently holding each wing down to her body, my knees on the ground on each side of her. I cross my feet behind her with my toes pointing to the ground, to keep her from putting that fluffy booty in reverse. Then I lift her bill up, so it's pointing to the sky, and gently use my fingertips to pry her bill open. Using my headlamp, I can get a great view of where to place my syringe or the capsule/tablet. Once I send the meds down the shoot, I close her bill, still keeping it pointed to the sky, and gently rub her neck a little bit, and then release her bill, back off quickly, and offer treats.
This is a very quick process and it's very gentle, even if it sounds horrible. I promise it's not. I feel like using a corner is very helpful, at least for me. I'm short at 5ft even, and I'm still able to kneel over my Pekin without any pressure being applied to her back. < That was my main concern whenever I first attempted it but my knees hold any and all of my weight. She tried to back up the first few times but then I found crossing my feet and even sitting my bum on the back of my feet/my ankles, keeps escapes from happening.
I admit that I am the world's worst at descriptions and summarizing, so I'll go ahead and apologize. If you're already doing this, my apologies for taking up so much of your time with my long winded post. If not, I hope this helps. Your girls are lucky to have you. I wish you and your girls the very best 💜
This is basically what I do now with a syringe, essentially sit on her, lol, raise her head, open mouth and very gently pull her tongue forward so that she stops blocking her throat, then I'm able to see where the syringe goes etc. It works okay, but she anticipates it and hates it, so finds ways to fight me now
I'm starting to try it with pills, I'm finding it a little easier to not make her choke, but she's still a pickle sometimes.
Thanks for sharing your method though, I do appreciate it :)

This is a great description of how to give a cat a pill as well...❤️🤣

Lol, I would *not* like to give a cat a pill. I'm so glad ducks don't have teeth.
So, typically my cats have been trained not to bite by the time I have to give them a pill.

Cats can be vicious, but most of the time it's because they think they're going to die. (which isn't that different from birds)...

Otoh, this method of giving a cat a pill makes the cat feel mostly safe while your shoving something down it's throat. 😂🤣

Back
Top Bottom