Not eating much feed... Flock of 12

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
I have 12 in my group right now free ranging. I noticed this year they really are not eating much feed at all. Not only that, I'm worried my feed will spoil. It is in a dry air tight feeder and it looks fine so far. I can't remember how long ago the feed has been in the feeder, maybe 1.5-2 months? They are eating a little, but not much since I let them out morning till evening when they come in on their own. I use to feed them their extra eggs for protien, but since I started selling eggs, I don't have any extras anymore.

Do you think the flock is getting enough nutrients from the bugs, grass and weeds? I do give organic oats as a treat once a day in the yard since they are only in the coop to lay(most lay in the coop). Last year they ate more feed during the summer, but this year the weather has been much colder then normal.

Should I be putting out feed where they free range? They are laying eggs, but pooping less. During the winter they poop a lot more since they eat mostly feed.

Maybe I should keep them in the coop/run longer in the morning? Or are the bugs good enough? My eggs are absolutely fantast this year! I've never seen such orange yolks.

I'm staring to juice myself starting today and I plan on giving the flock all the pulp from the juicer. Maybe this would help them with a more balanced diet. If they don't eat the pulp, I'll compost it. I'm just worried their not getting enough nutrients by not eating the feed. Maybe I'm worried over nothing.

Nice to not spend much on feed. I might worry about the age of the feed too. Generally exposed feed is good for around six weeks, after that it does start to be on the stale side. You could mix some of the feed that's out with the pulp getting them to eat it that way. Try an experiment, start with fresh feed and put out only what they would need if they weren't pastured and see how much they eat of that. This will give you some idea of how much they do eat when the ranging is good. Then you can adjust how much you put out for them so it doesn't go stale. As to moving the feed to them, why? they already know its there if they need it and it gives them a reason to come back to base.

I'd only move the old feed that I have left to them, so it gets eaten up before it spoils. The coop is pretty far from where they free range. Every once in a while the hens start laying outside the coop.:/. I was thinking of taking the old feed out today and maybe throwing it on one of the compost piles. I'd know they'd eat it up in there. My husband bought a new bag yesterday since he knew the feed in the feeder was getting old. I've never had the feed gone bad in the feeder, but I've had it gone bad kept inside the bag before the feeder was built. My husband built it to hold 100#'s of feed which is perfect for winter.

The chickens were not a fan of the pulp alone. It was a bit dry. I bet they'd love it in their feed. I sprout peas, corn, alfalfa, then grind it all together in the food processor before mixing it in their feed during the winter months. They love it. They usually eat the two bags of feed in the winter in about 5-6 weeks. Their feeder is built, so it's impossible for them to waste it.

I'm just shocked they are rarely eating the feed. The weather has been great for producing a lot of bugs this year. We are getting plenty of rain, which my hens will keep free ranging in the rain. They don't even take cover from getting wet this year which is strange. I just hope the bugs and weeds are enough to sustain them.

I'm so relieved that it is not uncommon for hens to prefer foraging over feed! Our girls barely touch their food. They're out free ranging all day. I've been thinking that they are getting plenty of grass and bugs. They do like raw sunflower seeds for a snack. They also get scraps from the garden and live to nibble at the cucumber and tomato leaves!
Much of their time is spent at the back door begging for a treat.

I let my chickens free-range all day too and was wondering the same thing. Their food consumption started to concern me when I realized that one 50 lb. bag of feed was lasting longer than a month. They also get a bucket full of fresh fruits and veggies every day (I currently have 9 silkies) When I used to keep them cooped up all the time they'd go through 2X's that amount in LESS THAN 3 WEEKS. When I started letting them out during the day, I expected their appetites to decrease, but not by soooo much! Apparently I had no clue as to how many bugs and grubs my property supported!!! Anyway, I started to look up the protein content of various vegetables and thought I'd pass the information along. So here, in no particular order, are a few of the more common vegetables that contain the highest levels of protein...asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, watercress, turnip greens, peas (black-eyed peas have the most) Lima beans, Brussels sprouts, winter squash (Hubbard squash in particular) and a few more than I can't find in my local grocery store....Enjoy !!!
jumpy.gif

I saw this happen to my chickens this year, they are sixteen weeks old and free range from eight to nine or so. It looked as though they had stopped eating… much as you describe, and I had great concern for the welfare of the birds, something must not be right?

Well it was right, I got a bird from another member, that was a month older than my birds, barred rock, and mine were larger than his. The birds came from the same hatchery but there was a marked difference in size. Another member was over and looked at my birds on the lawn and though they should begin to lay soon, as big as they were. Nope, not an egg yet. They are still too young.

My point is, at least at my place with 21 birds, they are doing better than I expected, and eating less feed. The birds 'know' what they need and will seek it out, be it oyster shell, or grit, or protein. So if you are offering free choice, which you should continue to do, they will be just fine. If your place has not been free ranged prior, or for what ever reason the bugs are in abundance, the birds will do very well on it. Leave them to do as they are, don't lock them in, let them go. I will bet you have very nice and shinny feathers along with clear bright eyes? If you do, things are good.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom