not laying yet?

AdrieeC

Pink Roses Farm
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Pearl River
I Bought 6 chicks from the local feed store at the end of the summer. When I got them they were already starting to feather. I estimate that they should be laying about two weeks ago at least. I put the little decoy eggs into the nesting box, and went back later to see that they had taken them out of the nesting box and turned it upside down. I am not particular about where they lay as long as it is somewhere within their chicken tractor. I know that the days are shorter now, and so they won't lay as many eggs as they would in the summer...But I think I should be seeing something. I have an older hen and rooster that I have been keeping separate and I am ready to put them together...

any ideas?

1st you didn't really say how old they are, my babies are 2 weeks old with wing feathers, and it also depends on breed how early or late they start laying, can't really help without this info.

I don't know how old they were when I got them in mid July. they would now be somewhere between 18 and 23 weeks. They are Ameracanas (sp?).

I wouldn't expect any eggs until they are at least 21-23 weeks old. Even then, eggs may be somewhat intermittent for a few more weeks.
Certainly the shorter daylight hours will also impact the production, so artificial lighting may be a good idea. You could introduce some crushed oyster shell to them now in preparation, as well start them on some layer feed, if your still giving them chick crumble.

I'm sure you will be rewarded just about the time you have given up completely on getting any eggs..
big_smile.png

Some breeds generally lay later than others, and you have one of them, most likely.

You probably have what are called EE's on here, but that's a whole different conversation. I have a few, and the feed store listed them as Ameraucanas, because that's what the hatchery called them, but they aren't. That's for Easter Eggers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom