Nov1- set 5 eggs -Skillet-bator... 3 live embryos

alalele

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Livingston Parish, LA
Saw a skillet hot plate at goodwill for 4 dollars and bought the WM accurite with probe. I'm attempting this with the fertilized eggs from my little flock, using the 'dry' method if I understand it right. Goal is to keep the eggs at 40% humidity and 101F till the last few days and hand turning 3 or 5 x a day. (((((((EDIT: change in goal.. 30-35% no lower than 25% and wiggler temp about 99.5 F ))))))))

I added a folded sponge type cloth after the pics were taken to help increase/ distribute the humidity and it brought it up. At last check the readings were GOAL.!
lol.png

I've been checking and adjusting dials and humidity regularly (obsessively) but twice the temp did raise up to 104F (probe is in a hm water tube). It had been hovering steadily at 98 to 99F otherwise. Did that high heat ruin the eggs?

Any advice is appreciated! Pics below:

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/8/3/3/8/833856/6726658.jpg
pan uncovered for photo

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/8/3/3/8/833856/9823597.jpg
this is the skillet I'm using. a cake rack is between the heat source and pan bottom.

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/8/3/3/8/833856/7481779.jpg?204x271
my obsessive note taking started immediately

UPDATE: 4 out of 5 eggs appear normal embryo growth as of Day 16.. expecting pips on Friday 19th... hopefully hatches by Sat 21st or Sun 22nd.

Last edited:
SWTangle:
Oh thank you! That's good to know and thanks for the link! 35% humidity was fairly consistent for all of last night... and the internal probe temp was about 99.1

Cajun:

yes, but I put a cake rack between the hot plate and that separates the pan bottom by about an inch. The setting on the unit is too hot on lowest setting so that's where the rack idea came in. I made a diagram of the dial and came up with a 5 point increment to make the minor adjustments to temp. 1.5 and 2.0 are where it's been hovering... 2.1 was too hot and brought the eggs to the 104F probe temp.

http://leighanne.weebly.com/uploads/8/3/3/8/833856/28009.jpg
this pic shows dial I drew out and the range increments

There are folded up wash clothes and a thick cloth pad are under the eggs. I keep trying to think if there is a better insulator that could be used that would allow better air circulation to avoid a hot spot on the bottom of the eggs. Any ideas?

You can't tell in the picture but the accurite is sitting on top the hm (probed) water pocket. The 104 reading I'm concerned about came from the accurite probe. I've also used a direct heat thermometer borrowed from my BF tool kit. He got it at harbor freight for about 30 bucks... but it measures the heat on the egg shell I think. I measured the heat at the bottom of the egg shell at the hottest reading and it read 104 and 105 at the highest... yikes!

What temp will the egg begin to cook instead of incubate?

Last edited:
Temps should be 100-102 in still air (since you have no fan thats what im calling it)

Try some of that non slid shelve liner that they sell at walmart or the dollar store, it has tiny tiny holes so air can still get thought !! Also makes nice padding for the chicks feet when they hatch !! That way you wouldnt have to use the face cloths under them !! The face cloths aren't wet are they ??

yes but 100-102 is for still air incubators where the heat is coming from the top. Because heat rises you need the extra few degrees to heat the entire incubator.

Because the skillet is ON TOP of the heating element this means that the heat is coming from below.

I would think that 100-102 is TOO high and would begin to cook the egg.... wouldn't you think?

I really have no idea because I've never incubated with a heating element below the eggs. Just an observation...

Quote:
Yah good point.... Heat rises (being preggo sucks the brains right out of me) !! Maybe 99 to 100 would be better !!?? That way 100 might be 102ish.

I guess trying to get the reading on the temp from the lower area would be the best idea !! Or try to keep the eggs up higher !!

Quote:
Makes sense. hmmmm... I am concerned the heat got too high at a few points while I was adjusting things trying to get the probe temp to 101. how can I tell if the eggs have started to cook? do I need to wait four more days to candle?

I figure this is an experiment anyway so at some point I can crack open an egg to see what the contents look like. Until I see signs of life then to me it's just an egg...

Quote:
Point taken! Raising the eggs! Good idea!

The reading I'm getting is from the hm water pocket with the probe inside it. It's sitting on the same level as the eggs are. The water pocket is UNDER the accurite.

I guess I'm getting confused at what readings ya'll are discussing... regarding the still air ... I have another little thermometer (cheap 1 dollar one) that I can set in to read the air temp... off I go to check the temps again..

If the heat was only higher than 102 for a short period you should be fine. It takes a little longer than a few hours to raise the temperature inside the egg. Now if it was higher than 102 for hours on in.... then I'd start to be a little concerned.

Back
Top Bottom