November/December "Hatch-a-Long"

I misspoke. I should have said only the pullets have 2 doses of the barring gene. From the patterning it looks like a cockerel to me but I AM A NEWBIE. What did the chick look like as a hatchling? The wild type chipmunk striped ones are pullets, the buff ones with the white head spot are cockerels. You might want to go see the Rhodebar thread? Lots of photos there.
At hatch he/she was a tiny solid light yellow fluff ball. Barring started appearing on the wings within one week or less though. At about 3 weeks comb and wattle developed and have grown steadily since.

Heidisgran - too bad you live in TX! lol
I'm actually hoping it's a boy. I had a broad breasted bronze named Bubba who was the coolest lil guy, unfortunately one of our dogs got him. Never forgave that dog for that particular offense...so little Stormy (it's nor'eastering here today) will be well protected. ;)
Some of the other eggs are starting to rock a little bit, and it IS only the 28th day. So if they were all to hatch today, it'd be clockwork....I'm giving them til Saturday til I do eggtopsies.

Heidisgran - too bad you live in TX! lol
I'm actually hoping it's a boy. I had a broad breasted bronze named Bubba who was the coolest lil guy, unfortunately one of our dogs got him. Never forgave that dog for that particular offense...so little Stormy (it's nor'eastering here today) will be well protected. ;)
Some of the other eggs are starting to rock a little bit, and it IS only the 28th day. So if they were all to hatch today, it'd be clockwork....I'm giving them til Saturday til I do eggtopsies.
I think I missed something...something about Texas?

and your hoping your little turkey is a boy?? I love the boys too...so beautiful! I love Roosters too....if I have a bunch of roos hatch then I get more girls to compensate so they can all stay with me
big_smile.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_Link

Sorry, I somehow overlooked this earlier. I did read this. So I gather form this and other articles that if he were a hen, he would have been black. Of course, I could be totally off here, but that's what I gathered from the info. lol On another note, have my eggs in lockdown day 18. No movement on peeping yet. Still early yet, so hopefully in the next couple days.
fl.gif

Day 20.5. I got 18 silkies in lockdown and two have pipped! So much fun. I got these from Catdance. So far a blue splash and a porcelain have pipped. Come on little babies!!

Last edited:
Max says eat roast beef for the holidays. Or ham. Or chocolate ice cream and pizza. Pizza is yummy. Or Chinese food. Or a grilled cheese sandwhich, everyone like gilled cheese. Become a vegitarian for a New Years resolution. Lamb, mmmmm, yummy lamb. Or fish or shrimp or lobster or crab or peanut butter and jelly. Or candy, lots and lots of candy. Cake. eat cake with lots of frosting. But just make sure you have a

Happy Thanksgiving !!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Okay.. one of my egg shipments arrived in the mail.. and one didn't. :( I'm stressing out because that means they won't be here til Friday, and I want to set them at the same time. I don't have a tracking# so I can't even see where they are at. They are coming from CA so they were supposed to be here today, it's not far at all! So it looks like I will be setting Saturday.. if you wanted to wait we could sync up, but if I were you, I probably couldn't wait! LOL!

Also..tell me again that these eggs I have in hand won't lose viability by waiting? sigh..

As for the rotating -- I say candle them, if detatched air cells, then no turning while they rest. If the ACs look fine, then I prop the whole dozen up on 1 side to turn. If they ARE detatched, I think that not turning for the first couple days of incubation is a good idea. Edit: Just candled my eggs, and all but 3 appear to have detatched air cells.. 1 is cracked. Crappppppp!!!!!
Sorry to hear about the delay. It's what I was afraid of. Mine left Oklahoma Monday and were here today Priority Mail. If yours were sent Priority they should have tracking info. I emailed and asked my seller for that, although eBay sent it also. Of course we all want to set them ASAP for viability, but better to wait instead of a staggered hatch. That's just too close together. Breathe.

I candled some of mine but I don't know what I'm looking for. There are not clearly defined air cells like they are super fresh. I'm just going to leave them alone and set them without turning for a couple days just to make sure. One of my Rhodebar eggs was cracked open, but they sent 2 extras. I got 4 extra Isbar eggs.
yesss.gif

Hau'oli Lā Ho'omaika'i iā 'oukou a pau! Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!
I'll be setting eggs tomorrow, these plus 15-20 Marans and Marans crosses.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom