Number of chicks

my 1st chick

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 1, 2014
I just recently had a chicken coop built it is approx 8 x10x6 it has 8 nesting boxes built in approx how many chickens can I have in this size coop. I lan on letting them free range during the day thank you

chickens need 4 sg.feet of space per bird inside the coop. As to nest boxes 1 for each 3 hens should be enough. Hens generally want to use the same nest box and either fight over it, or push their way in and lay an egg on top of the present hen. No matter how many nest boxes you make, you will find some are not used. They are funny that way.

chickens need 4 sg.feet of space per bird inside the coop. As to nest boxes 1 for each 3 hens should be enough. Hens generally want to use the same nest box and either fight over it, or push their way in and lay an egg on top of the present hen. No matter how many nest boxes you make, you will find some are not used. They are funny that way.

Big X2

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great having you joining us here at BYC
frow.gif

It really depends on how much roosting space you have and there
are always them chickens who will not roost for nothing and need
a nice bedded flat surface to sleep on
smile.png

These pullets would rather sleep on top of a box and I just
can not get them to roost and they seem happier all huddled
up together in the winter but in the summer if I let the EE's
free range it is really difficult to get them in to the coop and
the fences are just lined with them and that is about the only
roosting they will do ......
roll.png

Now these clowns are the first in to roost and if I am late
will be on top of one of the swamp cooler's so I have to make
sure the wind doesn't blow the coop door shut
big_smile.png

gander007
old.gif

thank you I have not yet added a roost wasnt sure how to do that thought about getting a huge dowel rod and anchoring up I originally thought about ordering 20 baby chicks for this size coop. i ant to raise the buckeyes

images

Depends on your climate also. If your birds will spend most of their time outside, then 20 birds may not be too cramped in there. But if they are stuck inside the coop all day long, 20 birds might be crowed enough to cause fighting and pecking issues.

I found that I need 2 nest boxes for 4 birds. Seems like everybody wants to lay at the same time around here and 1 box was not enough for 4 birds.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! A lot of people use 2x4's as roost poles (wide side up), saplings or tree branches 2-3" in diameter are also popular. When figuring out coop space, don't forget that the feeders, waterers, and depending how you have them set up, the nest boxes may also take up floor space.
20 chickens would be at the upper limit for what is usually recommended for that size coop, but if you order 20 chicks, even if you order sexed pullets don't forget you may have a couple of extra roosters and you may lose a few. Since it is a lot easier if everybody is the same age (rather than trying to integrate new chicks later) I would be inclined to go ahead and order that at least many to start with, and if you wind up with too many pullets, just place a few, pullets are usually really easy to place in the spring... and if you plan on breeding you may decide not to keep all the pullets you get at first if some of them aren't quite up to breed standard or something.

ok ordered the baby chicks today. once old enough they wil be free ranged during the day and only cooped at night i have the nest boxes built up into the coop the coop is 8 feet tall Thanks for the 2x4 idea
really excited to get them baby chicks Im in ohio and ordered from mt healthy aout 49 miles from my home Buckeyes were the ones i orded the most of

Back
Top Bottom