NY chicken lover!!!!

I think I need to euthanize one of the chicks from my hatch last week, but I wanted to stop in here and talk to everyone first. The leg is getting worse, the problem isn't just the club foot anymore the hock seems to be large and abnormal and the hip seems almost as if it's dislocated. The chick almost never puts weight on the foot except to get up or when it can not maintain balance on the good leg. It still eats and drinks and doesn't seem to be picked on more than the usual chick pecking. Thoughts?
Have you treated for splayed leg? With the leg out to the side like that it looks a lot like splayed leg. Also check for a slipped hock tendon. I had to put down a silkie chick a while ago because it hatched with slipped tendons in both legs and I just couldn't get them to stay in place.

Got home from work this morning and we have three pips!!! OH MY GOD! !! OH MY GOD! !! OH MY GOD! !!!!

Funny how I collected them when it was -20 out and they wait until it is -15deg to pip.

Last edited:
I think I need to euthanize one of the chicks from my hatch last week, but I wanted to stop in here and talk to everyone first. The leg is getting worse, the problem isn't just the club foot anymore the hock seems to be large and abnormal and the hip seems almost as if it's dislocated. The chick almost never puts weight on the foot except to get up or when it can not maintain balance on the good leg. It still eats and drinks and doesn't seem to be picked on more than the usual chick pecking. Thoughts?

Its a splayed leg. If you didn't treat it right away, then it probably won't survive. You could try putting a bandade between the legs right above the ankles with the pad of the bandade as the width between the legs and wrap the ends around the legs. Its probably too late, but try it if you want to. I also sometimes put something non-slippery inn a mug, and put the chick in that as well. The sides of the mug keep the foot from going out too far. I take it out several times a day so it can eat & drink. If after 2 days it still isnt right, then it won't get better.

Its a splayed leg. If you didn't treat it right away, then it probably won't survive. You could try putting a bandade between the legs right above the ankles with the pad of the bandade as the width between the legs and wrap the ends around the legs. Its probably too late, but try it if you want to. I also sometimes put something non-slippery inn a mug, and put the chick in that as well. The sides of the mug keep the foot from going out too far. I take it out several times a day so it can eat & drink. If after 2 days it still isnt right, then it won't get better.

The weird thing though is that two days ago the leg was under the chick, and the club foot was the biggest problem. The splay is a new development. The chick would favor the leg, but it wasn't anything as bad as this. I didn't even help this one out of the egg, this is one of the ones who got out all on its own too. :-(

look what I have. I never thought they were going to hatch.

its first act in the world was to poop on it siblings. Lol

BAH! I had a call to the Cornell Animal Health poultry people I wanted to find out how much blackhead is in my area if its reported etc ... the Dr. Jagne is not here today to speak to me but the lady I did speak with asked if I had chickens on the property. She said they reccomended to not have ANY chickens on the property if we are going to raise turkeys even if they are not on the same ground.. but but... I want chickens too.. trying to educate myself ahead of time. Will have to think on this some I guess. It is mostly dairy and hog farms near me. One mennonite farm nearby raises the midget whites is all I have found closeby. Some of you have experience with both chickens and turkeys on the same property? how do you manage it?

well ok.. after much reading I get it now :) I can have chickens too. Just have to be careful. Love seeing all the pics of everyones poultry. This forum is a great place to learn!

Back
Top Bottom