NY chicken lover!!!!

That was greek.... I am looking to get girls in the Spring... not sure what Georgia or kathyimo are, I assume types of delawares? that confuses me, so you will have to explain an teach me...
Sorry,

From breeders in Georgia and Kathy is a BYC member. There is only one "type" of Delaware. You will find a thread for each of the breeds you like. You'll find breeders, but will either have to pay to have chicks/eggs shipped or travel to buy them.

The Orps by Hinkjc (Jody) in Pa. are very nice and I have made the drive to get chicks. Tab on this thread has them now and may have chicks in the spring.

We do have a yearly Picnic, so you might make the connection then. Stick around and you're sure to have a good time being a chicken keeper.

I wish you well ,

Rancher

Ohhhhhh! Haha... I understand now. I definitely would prefer traveling around to pick up beautiful babies from people on here. I am terrified of having babies shipped. Especially after my friend Sarah had her babies lost for 4 days USPS. Well, I am so glad I found this group and you all have been and are wonderful. Thank you all so much. The picnic sounds great, would love to hear more about that!!

Hey guys, I'm popping in again, flock is doing good, had five chicks hatch this summer because we wanted to keep numbers down. I've had my hands full this summer tho. Lots of things happening at home, least of which is that my horse needs a $4,000 surgery at Cornell. I don't think I've spent $4,000 in him in the two years I've had him! full story here:http://www.gofundme.com/fv7sc0

Lav Orp Roo for sale - hatched out this spring ... nice temperment - raised with mixed flock of hens, roos and even banatams - no issues at all. $10.00

If you want more pics - let me know. I do have more on my phone camera.

There is a lav orp hen ... so if you are set on a pair - I will sell her, but don't want to ... pair is going to be $60

Metella where are you at? I'm looking for a Roo to help me integrate my flock.

I'm just across the NY border in Vermont ... I could send him a ways in with Pyxis .. but still near Glenns Falls and that area ....

Now this reminds me that perhaps the reason I had flowers on my apple tree but no apples is because there were no bees. I didn't notice any on my neighbors tree either. I'll have to check my other neighbors pear tree.

If you're not going to use your hive perhaps you'd consider selling it? DW says it's something we should get.

However with her being sick and all, I've talked about selling and moving into an apartment, but it made her upset and she cried so I don't talk of it anymore.

The garden is getting cleaned and ready for winter. Didn't see any mice but have seen some Froads. (Frogs and Toads, new word)

I'll be using the hive next year -sorry! You can build your own top bar hive for under $50. The expense comes with the bees $110/package and the equipment $100 approx. I don't have all the 'bells and whistles' that you can have for beekeeping, but I have found you don't actually need too much stuff. Improv. is a great thing!!
wink.png

I'll be using the hive next year -sorry! You can build your own top bar hive for under $50. The expense comes with the bees $110/package and the equipment $100 approx. I don't have all the 'bells and whistles' that you can have for beekeeping, but I have found you don't actually need too much stuff. Improv. is a great thing!!
wink.png

I suspected you'd be keeping it and I'm really not ready for bees with DW being sick and all. I had a guy on CL that had a set up for $300.00 not including bees.

I saw a lot of bees on flowers later in the summer. I didn't weed whack much so there were tall Asters and some other flower I don't know the name off. I would see them moving from flower to flower in the morning. I don't think there were enough in the spring when the apples were in bloom.

The bees I saw were a bumble type I think, but I could be wrong.

Anyhow perhaps in the future I'll get a hive.
fl.gif

Last edited:
thats to bad. I'm all the way in oswego, north of syracuse. To long a drive for me.
I sold my Lav orp roo to someone up that way last year. Try CL.

I do hope to get some from Jody in PA next year, which means either a long drive or eggs to hatch. You should check out her sight.

I gave mine to Tab and Travis.

Back
Top Bottom