Official BYC Poll: Do You Wear a Mask or Respirator When Cleaning Your Coop?

Do you wear a mask or respirator when cleaning your coop?

• Yes - Everytime I'm in the coop!

Votes: 32 5.0%
  • Yes - Only when doing a deep clean

Votes: 145 22.5%
  • Yes - Whenever I scoop or scrape off the poop board

Votes: 39 6.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 73 11.3%
  • I used to, but I don't anymore

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • No - Never

Votes: 196 30.4%
  • No - Is that something I'm supposed to do????

Votes: 125 19.4%
  • Other - Please elaborate

Votes: 23 3.6%

• Total voters
Never felt the need for a mask. I use a combination of sand and SweetPDZ (horse stall-dry) under the roosts and the only time I ever have a dust issue is when I pour a fresh bag of PDZ into the litter box. I just step out of the coop after adding and give it about 10 minutes to clear before I mix it into the sand.

View attachment 3746024

We all know how much dust those birds can create, so I'm just wondering who wears some kind of respiratory protection when they are in and around the coop - and when!

Have you had any issues from not wearing a mask?

Please vote and leave a comment below!
The only time I wear a mask is when I tear down the coop.and nesting boxes for deep clean, spray for mites, or do a major shaving clean out to keep the dust out of my nose. My coop is cleaner than most people's homes. As far as handling my chickens,.no I don't wear a mask. I figure if I were going to die of a chicken borne illness, I'd be dead by now at age 60. Plus, it'd be a good death.
Peace, out✌️🫶🐔🐓🐣🐥

Attachments

• 20240412_112838.jpg
    20240412_112838.jpg
    989.1 KB · Views: 1
View attachment 3746024

We all know how much dust those birds can create, so I'm just wondering who wears some kind of respiratory protection when they are in and around the coop - and when!

Have you had any issues from not wearing a mask?

Please vote and leave a comment below!
I do wear a face covering, like a bandana or mask, because I use DE in the coop. It's irritating to respiratory system. I also wear eye covering because the DE makes for uncomfortable dry eye. Outside in the run I don't fuss with protective wear.

No I do not wear a mask. My coop is off the ground and has a full size door on the end. I put a wheel barrel at the door and using a hoe pull it all into the wheel barrel. However I am outside. The nesting boxes are on the side with their own lift lid. I use a hand shovel to put the shavings in the coop. Then the hoe to wheel barrel. Afterwards I sprinkling DE on the floor and the fresh shavings on top. I do stand inside and back up and out of coop as I put the shavings and DE down.

I never wear mask even despite serving in Japan. It’s not enough air for my lungs.Never got any disease from my birds/coop/droppings, what I compost right away every morning.
During Covid also I didn’t wore mask even (some) Japanes people were piercing me with their look under their double masks; sorry I need fresh air;I’m rejoicing the freedom of breathing, while I can…

Attachments

• IMG_4534.jpeg
    IMG_4534.jpeg
    802.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4532.jpeg
    IMG_4532.jpeg
    782.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2061.jpeg
    IMG_2061.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom