Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

• Their run is in a shaded area

Votes: 250 61.3%
  • I put a shade cloth/heat resistant tarp over their run

Votes: 125 30.6%
  • I've installed a misting system

Votes: 48 11.8%
  • I provide plenty of fresh cool water

Votes: 334 81.9%
  • They have a fan in their coop

Votes: 102 25.0%
  • I put out shallow pans with water/ice for them to stand/sit in

Votes: 131 32.1%
  • I feed them frozen fruits & veggies often

Votes: 150 36.8%
  • Their coop is well ventilated

Votes: 254 62.3%
  • I lightly wet the sand in their run

Votes: 66 16.2%
  • My chickens are heat tolerant

Votes: 85 20.8%
  • I have a roof over their run

Votes: 166 40.7%
  • I have lots of trees and bushes for them to sit under

Votes: 197 48.3%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 41 10.0%

• Total voters
Summertime is a wonderful time, but with the sunshine and long days comes a potential hazard for our flocks: extreme heat. Chickens naturally wear a warm coat of feathers and can overheat easily, therefore it is essential that we provide means for them to cool down, if needed, and regulate their body temperatures.

So How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

Feel free to choose multiple answers and please elaborate in the comment section if you choose "Other".

View attachment 2679982

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Well...I'm not finding any actual link to a poll...am I missing something?

My two hens and rooster have a shed under an avocado tree which is cool most of the days when its hot. With a water container nearby and a space to sand bath they are quite satisfied. I'm planning to fence my vegetable plot for them to get out and roam a little. They have 10 chicks between them which I have adopted and keeping them in the laundry for these last 2 weeks and will release them when the fence is done.

In central Texas it gets HOT!! We don't have power in that part of our lot so to avoid stringing an extension cord we're in the process of setting up a small solar power station. We use a lot of solar lights on the property and I've been interested in learning more about it (yes, it's a little overkill), but it may lead to more efficient use of power at some point. We'll be powering an exhaust fan in the coop which we hope will draw in and push out air. I'll update after we see how it goes.
Got the fan installed though we need one more part to connect to solar panel. The air flow is really good. We installed a 10" exhaust fan. It's strong enough in the medium size space. I feel hopeful that we can keep these girls comfortable.

Our chickens are blest to share the pasture that has plenty of shade with a few ducks that dictate that we keep their swimming/bathing water below the boiling point or they'll reduce their 5 star status to 0 star on us so they all get fresh water 4 times a day during the Summer days & their tubs are moved as the shade moves. They don't realize that I was retired until they became my Boss.
Oh my gosh - isn't that the truth? I retired about a year ago and since raising little chicks have become their devoted servant!

It was 108 degrees today. My poor girls are doing better than I expected. They still are panting and hold their wings out some. The appetites have not diminished in the least. Their water is changed twice a day, an exchange for cooler water from the house. I have added a frozen water bottle inside the hanging waterer. They have had frozen vegetables and melon added to the diet. The new coop is almost finished, it will have every kind of cooling idea I can add to it. My DH told me he will run the electricity out to the coop if I need a fan. What a guy!

Lots of cool water and mine loves her fan. She sings into it. Just got her a new smaller, black one and she’s not happy. Going out to the shed for the standard box fan she loves.
It’s 104° right now and Grey is panting. I’ve never seen her do that ever. I didn’t even see her do that yesterday when it reached 108°. I’m giving them the fan and I’m turning on the a/c for me.

Summertime is a wonderful time, but with the sunshine and long days comes a potential hazard for our flocks: extreme heat. Chickens naturally wear a warm coat of feathers and can overheat easily, therefore it is essential that we provide means for them to cool down, if needed, and regulate their body temperatures.

So How Do You Keep Your Chickens Cool In Summer?

Please place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2679982

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
My girls have our orchard (almost solid canopy) and nice thick bushes in shade for 'forts'. I do put out a wide shallow pan with water for bathing but no one has quite jumped in yet. They DO eye the pool that the drakes have. At night if over 60f or so outside oscillating fan is on. Chilled treats are loved. A chilled peach must be put down carefully or you may lose a fingertip

Last edited:
I make my birds frozen popsicles. It's a treat that they all love, and it's cold. I make them as popsicles (so not just a frozen treat) so that the chickens don't get it dirty while they eat it.

Back
Top Bottom