Official BYC Poll: How Do You Optimize Your Hens' Egg-Laying Capabilities?

How Do You Optimize Your Hens' Egg-Laying Capabilities?

• Provide a balanced diet rich in protein and calcium.

Votes: 93 83.8%
  • Ensure a constant supply of clean, fresh water.

Votes: 90 81.1%
  • Maintain consistent daylight hours with artificial lighting if necessary.

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • Create a stress-free, well-ventilated coop.

Votes: 72 64.9%
  • Offer clean, quiet, and comfortable nesting boxes.

Votes: 81 73.0%
  • Keep the coop and nesting boxes clean to prevent stress and disease.

Votes: 78 70.3%
  • Allow hens to roam and forage during the day.

Votes: 74 66.7%
  • Ensure hens have companions for social stimulation.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Provide oyster shells or crushed eggshells as a calcium source.

Votes: 86 77.5%
  • Offer a dust bath area to help control parasites.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Minimize disturbances, loud noises, or sudden changes.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • Secure the coop to protect against predators.

Votes: 85 76.6%
  • Monitor and maintain the health of my hens.

Votes: 78 70.3%
  • Gather eggs daily to prevent broodiness.

Votes: 87 78.4%
  • Choose chicken breeds known for high egg production.

Votes: 38 34.2%
  • Nothing, I let them be.

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in the comments section below).

Votes: 9 8.1%

• Total voters
So how many eggs do you typically get a day with this regimen? What does the sodium bicarb do for them?
we are not yet reaching the genetic potential of our hens. lay rate is 78%. potential is 90%. the main reason for this is we do not use formulated feed, so we are working on formulating our own mix. every week we get a little better.
We are getting closer and closer.
Sodium bicarb at 0.7-1% has a positive effect on egg production, quality and size.it can also increase the eggshell thickness by up to 6%.

The only research paper I could find said it could potentially increase egg laying during high heat stress. Other than that, not much.
there were multiple studies in the 60's. The frank and Berger one, to which I assume you're referring, was a study of birds that were subject to minor heat/carbon dioxide stress. The rest were in normal circumstances.

In more recent times there have been two studies that I have read - one which concluded that it increased in all factors, and another that it increased in all factors during peak lay, but not during late production period.

Maybe we're reading different, but looking at the links you provided I see:

The first study you link was an experiment showing what would happen if you added sodium bicarb at ten times the recommended amount. "2 days of consuming feed erroneously formulated to contain over 30 g/kg instead of 3 g/kg sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3). "

the second study conclusion is that the hens supplemented with sodium bicarb had a better mortality rate and layer more eggs.

the third study is light on details, but seems to be a replication of the frank and Berger study, tested on hens in heat stress.

Maybe we're reading different, but looking at the links you provided I see:
Agree, its just not a significant difference. Which I understand could make a difference for keeping battery hens and the bottom line. For people with a few hens in the backyard the risks outweigh the rewards and they wouldn't see a difference in egg production or health and could have negative effects if fed incorrectly.

Agree, its just not a significant difference. Which I understand could make a difference for keeping battery hens and the bottom line. For people with a few hens in the backyard the risks outweigh the rewards and they wouldn't see a difference in egg production or health and could have negative effects if fed incorrectly.
for sure someone with 6 hens in the garden isn't going to notice 6 - 9% increase, but even if you have 100 hens (we're scaling to reach 300) its enough of a difference to make it worthwhile

Back
Top Bottom