Official BYC Poll: How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

• I have a cement floor so they can't dig from underneath

Votes: 71 10.8%
  • Their coop is raised off the ground

Votes: 290 44.1%
  • Their run is covered

Votes: 413 62.9%
  • I have secure latches on all doors, including nest boxes.

Votes: 420 63.9%
  • They are fenced in with hardware cloth

Votes: 361 54.9%
  • I have bushes and other hiding places for my chickens to hide under during the day

Votes: 281 42.8%
  • I have one or more roosters on guard

Votes: 301 45.8%
  • I've installed an electric fence around my perimeter

Votes: 72 11.0%
  • I have a motion-activated light near the coop

Votes: 161 24.5%
  • I have a game cam installed

Votes: 104 15.8%
  • I have a properly trained guard dog

Votes: 85 12.9%
  • Predators aren't much of a problem around my area

Votes: 83 12.6%
  • I hang CD's and other shiny objects around to deter aerial predators

Votes: 46 7.0%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 109 16.6%

• Total voters
Pics
i am amazed that one of the highest percentages is a covered chicken run...it seems like that would cost a fortune.
@Carson213, I haven’t read all 6 pages yet, so maybe someone else already said it, but bird netting is an inexpensive option that will stop aerial attacks. I spent less than $20 and covered our almost 1,000 sq ft run after a hawk killed one of my birds in the run when we were outside. (The coop is in the middle so I didn’t have cover that part & I went around one tree trunk too.)
Sure, it won’t stop a raccoon but the coop is super secure, & coons are nocturnal so it’s not as issue.
I’ll attach a screenshot of the one I used. It mentioned hawks in the reviews.

eta: now I’ve read all the pages... and.... you’re run is twice as large as my entire property! I can’t imagine fencing in & covering almost an acre. Good luck!

Attachments

• 7DDC2737-0663-4700-8B28-7CCB1F3D22FA.jpeg
    7DDC2737-0663-4700-8B28-7CCB1F3D22FA.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
@Carson213, I haven’t read all 6 pages yet, so maybe someone else already said it, but bird netting is an inexpensive option that will stop aerial attacks. I spent less than $20 and covered our almost 1,000 sq ft run after a hawk killed one of my birds in the run when we were outside. (The coop is in the middle so I didn’t have cover that part & I went around one tree trunk too.)
Sure, it won’t stop a raccoon but the coop is super secure, & coons are nocturnal so it’s not as issue.
I’ll attach a screenshot of the one I used. It mentioned hawks in the reviews.

eta: now I’ve read all the pages... and.... you’re run is twice as large as my entire property! I can’t imagine fencing in & covering almost an acre. Good luck!
I think that such cheap bird netting isn’t strong enough to keep the birds of prey out. I use strong netting for birds of pray and cat netting with a metal thread in it (designed for balconies).
These nettings are still good after 6 years except for one piece 2” above the ground/hwc. The nylon 🦅 netting is not strong enough for rat teeth.

I think that such cheap bird netting isn’t strong enough to keep the birds of prey out. I use strong netting for birds of pray and cat netting with a metal thread in it (designed for balconies).
These nettings are still good after 6 years except for one piece 2” above the ground/hwc. The nylon 🦅 netting is not strong enough for rat teeth.
My 10lb cat walks on it okay. And it keeps the squirrels out. They bounce off it. Granted, I’ve only had it up for a few months, but it’s working so far. We had lots of hawks fly over but no more attacks. Thankfully I’ve not seen a rat ever on my property.

The main predators for my flock - foxes, skunks, possums, stray cats, and hawks. Hawks are my biggest concern right now because I've had two incidents of them scoping out my flock in the trees right next to the coop TWICE in the past 2 months.

My coop is built on a concrete slab. It is pretty secure. I have 2 goats who have their own goat house but share the chicken yard. I think they help keep some critters away.

My dog is also a good deterrent for pests. I can't let her in with the chickens because she WILL kill my birds but my fenced backyard is directly adjacent to the chicken yard. Just her being present in the backyard has served as a deterrent to cats, foxes, and even hawks....

My biggest issue is protecting the flock from hawks when my dog is not outside. My run is not covered because it is really big and surrounded by large oak trees. I do have 3 roosters but none of my chickens seem to keep a close eye on the sky.

I came outside last week and saw one up in the trees next to the coop. It started screeching when it saw me. It was only after it started screeching that SOME of my girls began running for cover. I can only imagine what might have happened if I hadn't come outside when I did and interrupted the hunt.

Brick wall around the run and 5+ strand (more like 9 strand) barbed wire around a secondary run that is not in use yet.

Padlock on the door at night but just a hitch during the day.

Main predator in area is dogs, but opossums do get in and eat eggs. Few or no raccoons.

This is in a location where brick and other masonry is common.

I have had almost no predator attacks, but I have had a couple close calls with Cooper's Hawks recently. Overall though my area is pretty safe.

My chickens have lots of trees and bushes to hang out in, but most don't provide much cover in this season.

I try to always have a rooster or two for breeding and to watch for predators. My roosters have saved my hens more than once from Cooper's Hawks!

I lock them in their predator proof coop and runs at night. After (at least) six years I never forget anymore, unless it has been a very strange and busy day.
I got an automatic coop door set on a timer because I didn't trust my son to remember to shut their door on the nights I worked. It has been the best thing ever.

Back
Top Bottom