Official BYC Poll: What type of COOP bedding do you like best?

Which type of COOP bedding do you like best?

• Total voters
Pics
Mine started as grass because we built the coop on top of the backyard grass. They enjoyed the grass and soon it became dirt. They loved the dirt but they dug s so many huge holes I would nearly break my ankles going in. I then added some shavings under their coop, then when that wore aware I tried hay. Hay is so far my favorite ,it lasts the longest and the gals love to tunnel through it. I have a piece of AstroTurf upstairs in their coop, which I clean daily and wash weekly. :)

I've been using Eco-flake pine shavings since the beginning, on both the coop floor and in the nest boxes. The shavings absorb moisture from the droppings and give the gals a softer landing when they fly down from the perches. I clean the coop out every morning, so it never smells bad. As an added bonus, the mix of poop and shavings that I get every morning and dump into the compost bin appears to have a really good ratio of green to brown, because with only the addition of a little water and occasional food scraps, it breaks down into really nice compost.

I use straw. It seems to be easiest to clean out.
Mine started as grass because we built the coop on top of the backyard grass. They enjoyed the grass and soon it became dirt. They loved the dirt but they dug s so many huge holes I would nearly break my ankles going in. I then added some shavings under their coop, then when that wore aware I tried hay. Hay is so far my favorite ,it lasts the longest and the gals love to tunnel through it. I have a piece of AstroTurf upstairs in their coop, which I clean daily and wash weekly. :)
Hay and straw can cause an impacted crop. Here is an article about it: https://the-chicken-chick.com/reasons-straw-does-not-belong-in/

well still have coops. floors are pine wood boards with big rubber mats(formerly garage floor mats)
Now under roosts stand are big cafeteria trays over top of big aluminum trays. I would scrap with putty knife and clean with a dedicated sponge dish mop and let air dry. Prob cleanest coop around.I occ Would put down newspaper on top of the mats. they roamed 1/2 acre fenced in otherwise
thanks all
PS. miss my girls ,buried the last 3 back few months ago.

Back
Top Bottom