Official BYC Poll - Which aspect of keeping chickens do you enjoy the most?

Which aspect of keeping chickens do you enjoy the most?

• Their companionship

Votes: 244 71.8%
  • The fresh eggs

Votes: 180 52.9%
  • Breeding/working with rare breeds

Votes: 35 10.3%
  • Showing/exhibition

Votes: 12 3.5%
  • Hatching eggs

Votes: 62 18.2%
  • Other (please reply to the thread and specify)

Votes: 31 9.1%

• Total voters
I just wanted chicken manure for my vegetable garden. Now when they get to free range, The poop is all at the back door. I guess I shouldn't allow so much scratch. All I have to do is let the dog out. and a stampede of 7 pullets come running. The biggest benefit to me is I have to get off of my dead butt, and take care of them.

I've been breeding and raising American Gamefowl and Oriental Gamefowl the majority of my life; roughly 19 years now. I've been involved with poultry in one way or the other since birth (35 years now). My father loved exhibiting Brahma and Black Rosecomb Bantams. Buckeyes darkened are doorstep when my daughter, Sydney, began expressing interest in raising them as a 4-H project for the the local Junior County Fair. Sydney started exhibiting Buckeyes in the winter of 2009. Not knowing what to really expect, she began with the APA Junior Class shows and now (14 years of age) competes in Open Class competition with adults much older than herself.

The aspect that I enjoy the most regarding poultry is breeding and rearing poultry. I enjoy the selection process and moving a breed closer to the standard. Watching the chicks hatching with the idea that someday this little thing will someday stand proud on Champion Row and admired for the bird it has become. Watching that same little chick grow daily running around catching bugs on the yard, digging up worms, growing strong and healthy. Every year is identically the same for me excited with anticipation with the exception that every year I believe that little chick fresh from the shell, chirping in my hand has a better chance to stand proud and be a prime example of what the breed should be.

That is the same with me--I love getting the eggs BUT THEY ARE MY pets--It can be like that when you only have 4.

$25 an egg? What kind of chickens are those?

I believe that they are counting all costs... spend $1,000 on a coup, a buck each per hen for 5 hens, feed through laying, going to guess another $100... so far you're up to $1105 and no eggs yet, if all hens start laying 1 egg per day for 5 days, you;ll have 25 eggs at the end of that week for a cost of $44.20 per egg.... so I can see how the initial eggs could be quite pricy!

Oh my gosh, I kept all the receipts for getting our chicks started! From the initial costs of 45 chickens from two different hatcheries--even with a free brooder (dog crate upside down and kiddie pool) plus retro-fitted coop (old 10X10 pony barn), the costs are HIGH to get started! Add in the electric fencing and energizer, and that was an extra $300 expense. UGH!! And no eggs yet ;)

My hubby calls this an "expensive hobby!!" And here I was thinking I would make money selling eggs at our already established little farm stand. HA HA HA!!!
-sarah

Ok thinking of it in those terms my eggs should come out gold plated. Lol.

I believe that they are counting all costs... spend $1,000 on a coup, a buck each per hen for 5 hens, feed through laying, going to guess another $100... so far you're up to $1105 and no eggs yet, if all hens start laying 1 egg per day for 5 days, you;ll have 25 eggs at the end of that week for a cost of $44.20 per egg.... so I can see how the initial eggs could be quite pricy!

Back
Top Bottom