• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
I like using chickens to turn compost. I like making jewelry with their colorful feathers. And I have found that perching one on my shoulder and talking to her dose relieve my anxiety more than a cat or dog for some reason. They evoke a calmness and their body heat is dry not moist like a furry cat or dog that close hugging on a hot humid day will make you sweat and their fur then sticks to you. But if you have long eyelashes like I do you might want to wear glasses when perching one on your shoulder. I blinked and I think my bird thought it was a bug and he pecked me in the eye.

I have anxiety issues as well as fibromyalgia. It wasn't the reason I got my chickens but they do have a therapeutic effect on me.. I even tuck my girls in at night. They coo a relaxing, comforting noise. LOL.

Last edited:
I also have health and anxiety issues, tuck them in, use them to turn my compost, debug my garden and keep me company. I have an allergy to egg whites, so I've never eaten a whole egg or one of my chickens. I get a huge kick out of people's expressions when I call them and they come flying and running. They are surprised when a few of them will stand right there while they're being petted or will jump in their lap. I usually warn everyone to watch out for their painted toenails and earrings ( I have one with a real thing for jewelry). Unfortunately, I do have a little rooster that will chase anyone that will run, although he's not so heroic if they don't. I would love to see some jewelry, Penny Hen!

Old wrinkly, I put pets and eggs , although eggs aren't that important, I live in rural area and it is so lovely just to hear them clucking etc especially on a warm day just to hear them coo wonderful. Then there are my four naughty Perkins and my four call ducks these are time wasters, still like it says I'm older so I have time to spare, clucking and cooing up the garden for mealworms I couldn't eat them though if one dies or whatever it has to have proper burial. Have to watch dogs though they would chase and I would be very cross they have their own part of the garden. Also you don't have to have large garden they don't have to take loads of shave although mine have

Because they are so entertaining to watch. They have such personalities and each one is different. The eggs are a bonus to having fun pets. They entertain my 2 goats, too!
thumbsup.gif

I am doing this for health and education. We just moved from a very urban environment to a 2 acre wildlife habitat. We lost our first four chickens, just weeks after they started laying (a fox got them) So....after better fencing, we have three new ones. It's a lot of work, and I think it is important for them to appreciate the work behind the rewards....good organic food and animals to care for and experience, the good and the bad.

I didn't plan on chickens, but I had discussed it with my wife as a good chore for the kids.
She was totally against it. But, my Mother in Law heard about my idea and the kids got surprised with 3 leghorns and 3 RR chicks for Easter. (I have the best Mother in Law.)
2 1/2 years later and I'm still hooked.
The bug control, eggs, fertalizer, free lawn dethatching, and all the silly things they do.

Back
Top Bottom