Oh dear, I think I may have a SLW Roo... Thoughts PLEASE!

Is Pepper a girl or boy?

• Girl

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aggielady

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 3, 2013
Texas
I believe I am among the many posts I have read that fear they may have a roo in the hen house.
hu.gif

I'm aware these inquiries usually ends up in a confirmed roo but I am still holding out hope because the signs are not very prominent...?

I bought two Silver Laced Wyandottes a month ago. They were a month old.
Now at two months, one (my fave) "Pepper" has a slightly larger wattle than the other. Their bodies are the same size and shape though.
It seems when someone suspects a roo it tends to be the case, however when I looked at pics of someone else's 3 month old Wyandotte roo, it had a full blown wattle and comb. I know they grow fast, but I would think it would be more obvious by now if it were to look like that in 2-3 weeks. Thoughts?? Please?

"Pepper" is the one I'm concerned about and I included a picture of the my other pullet "Rosemary" for comparison. Their wattle looks larger from certain angles in the pictures than in person so I took several angles.

At 2 months I think you have 2 pullets. Are the legs of one especially thicker than the other?

yesss.gif
I sure hope you are right! I had to run outside to check their legs and if they are slightly thicker, its not really obvious. I did notice a slight difference in their tails while I was out there- Pepper's tail slightly slopes up and Rosemary's tail slightly slopes down. Is that telling at this age?

Last edited:
For those on the edge of your seats, rest assured that Miss Pepper is in fact a girl- she was the first to mature and the first to lay in fact! She gives us a beautiful speckled brown egg every day
celebrate.gif

Here she is in action and all grown up. Thanks again for the reassurance everyone! She's changed so much from her pictures above- aww!

Last edited:
Thank you for the update--I sometimes wonder how things turned out, and it's always good to look back and see the baby pic vs the adult pic!

Back
Top Bottom