Ok, I need some help here folks

I think my biggest want for the hens is that I have a rather nice looking bird and one that lays a good size egg. I don't want to consistently have small eggs.

Do chickens lay bigger eggs as they mature, and they just all start out small, or is it breed specific? I don't have to have a breed that is cold hardy. It get's cool down here, but not for long.

My coop, oh lawdy, my coop. Where do I start here. I have my choice of three outbuildings right now that I have no present use for. The one that I am favoring right now is one that my wife wants me to use as my shop (I want to build a different one some day). It is 36'x20'. It is a good solid building that with a little modification will make a good coop I think. It is cinder block wall construction, concrete floor, 12 ' ceilings.

I was thinking of adding a run out to the side of this and creating a small door for them to go in and out. Thought the concrete floor would make it easier to clean out as well.

Anyone with coops have thoughts on this subject?

Thanks for all of the info, please keep it coming.

For your coop -

Do any of your buildings have a dirt floor? concrete is great flooring for people... but not always friendly on the birds. The cinder block walls is great for summer, keeps them cooler, and that's a Good Thing for those of us who live in the South. That building is definately big enough to partition off several sections for babies, juviniles, adult general population, several breeding trios, etc..... I'm SOO Jealous!!

Re: Your Chickens -

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

look over these listings. You'll want a chicken that is hardy, lays large eggs, is a winter layer, and is pleasing to look at. If you go to Feathersite, you'll find pics galore of most of the breeds listed on the Ithaca site.

Write your Wish List, qualities you want, Don't want, and start narrowing from there. If you're wanting to have self-propagating chickens next year, and you want more than one variety, they'll need to be segregated to maintain a specific breed.

A Lot of us have mixed flocks, and like it that way. You'll find them under the titles Mutts, Designer chicken, barnyard crosses, etc.

Your best resource is your County Extension Agent! (Call the county court house and ask how to get in touch with them, they will know) He/She will be able to tell you which birds are common to your area, which ones do well, or not so well, and any rules & regs you need to follow for your area. The Agent can also advise you about housing and feeding your new babies! Also ask them to put you in touch with some of "The Old Timers", people who have been raising chickens for decades, and go check out several of their set-ups and see what works best for you. They might also be able to hook you up with people needing to thin their flocks, or kids who have finished the show-ring for 4H, and are ready to get rid of their birds for the year.

Hope this helps,

Kathy

When I decided to get chickens I fell in love with cochins. They come in standard and bantam, I have some of both. The standards lay large brown eggs and are big birds. They are great pets very sweet very easy to keep. I love the different colors you can get. Makes for a lovely flock.

Marsha

Back
Top Bottom