OK So I'm homemade Mayo challenged ... Help MissP!!

Clay In Iowa

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Near Wilton Iowa
I tried MissPs recipe for homemade mayonnaise and it was a complete and utter failure.

I used one very fresh Room temp egg (hours old), and a cup of canola oil. I stuck the immersion blender in and got oily egg soup. I ran the blender for about 10 minutes working it up and down.. In fact the oil began to get warm I ran it so long..... ?????

What obvious part of this did I miss??

Room temperature is good. Did you whip the egg first then VERY SLOWLY drizzle in the oil while the blender was running???

Hmmmm....

I was using this recipe

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19988

And followed MissP advice "Most recipes call for the egg to be drizzled slowly with the oil as it is being beaten to make a great elumsification. It takes more than a few minutes to make the mayo in this manner. If you use a stick blender add the egg and oil to a deep container and whip it up in under 2 minutes."

I'll try again and drizzle this time.

Thanks!!!

The drizzle method is the only way I ever got it to emulsify. I tried several times before I figured out the room temperature part.
tongue.png

Yes, that is what I do too. I use the blender and first add the egg, then very, very slowly drizzle the oil in. After it thickens is when I add the vinegar, garlic, tumeric, paprika and salt. Sometimes I have to blend it by hand than start the blender again. The mixtures gets so thick .

Back
Top Bottom