OK... What is the best Heritage meat bird?

Clay In Iowa

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Near Wilton Iowa
I know... I know.... It's been discussed... several times. Don't bother linking to other threads, I've probably already read them.

I've been lurking on this forum for a long time reading almost every thread on the subject. But I can't seem to find a consensus of any kind.

I'm not opposed to Cornish crosses or freedom rangers but I'd like a self sustaining supply of meat birds. Something I can raise every year from good stock. Hopefully improving on over the years. A bird that will free range easily and forage for at least some of it's food. In the process developing something commercial birds and other rapidly produced chickens lack... FLAVOR.

Why????.....I've traveled quite a bit and I can tell you the grocery stock "chickens" are fatty tasteless hormone/antibiotic filled blobs. I want a chicken that is supposed to taste like a chicken. Like the fresh chicken I had on a mountain side in Nepal... now THAT was a good, if a bit tough, tasting chicken. A depth of flavor few have experienced just amazing.

Marans... Hmmm

Interesting, I had a Black Copper Marans that was just plain mean as the dickens. He tasted pretty good and that was before the flock started free ranging.

Thanks I'll check into the others.

I have some BBS Orps I could try... too many roos.

Last edited:
Quote:
Is that a chicken or a euphemism...
tongue.png

I am curious...can anyone SCIENTIFICALLY document ( NOT by someone with an axe to grind, or hearsay, or with their own financial interests, or political slant) the existance of a grocery stock "chicken" that is fatty, tasteless ( personal variables) , hormone/ antibiotic filled blob ? It just seams to me that with the low grocery store chicken prices ( $0.79- - $0.99 / lb.) the use of the hormones and antibiotics would be cost prohibitive.

Last edited:
We are using Dark Cornish as our homestead meat birds, mainly because they get a good size and breed true. We just got 25 of them from Ideal, and will keep most of the hens and butcher most of the roos, setting aside enough roos for an 8 to 1 ratio with one spare in case we lose one of the other roos.

Since we are just starting I have no idea how they are going to do as far as foraging goes. They are very very active as chicks, though.

But, we are new to the whole thing so take that for what it is worth. We did this for reasons very similar to your.

Delaware's and they are on the list of most tasty as well.They love to be out foraging for a treat,very easy to live with-some of our favorites,grow fast and lay well to get a self sustaining supply or breakfast as needed.
We are raising extras next year just for the freezer.

Quote:
I have no financial incentive or axe to grind. I just ant a better chicken. These will be chickens for personal use/consumption, nothing more.

I can tell you grocery store chickens are tasteless compared to free range chickens that are truly free range. And I can verify that nearly all mass produced poultry is fed antibiotics throughout their oh so short life. There's no other way to keep poultry healthy at densities high enough to turn a profit at so low a price in mass production. If you want proof of fatty ... boil one and then refrigerate the whole pot. Do the same to a free range chicken off my farm.. 5-10 times the fat will come to the surface. Taste the broth and you will throw the store bought chicken out the door.

Back
Top Bottom