***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I want to say hello to everyone on this list. Since I'm fairly new to Backyard Chickens I'm still not real clear on how posting here works. I was happy to find the thread for us Okies. We live about 5 miles east of Moore. I am looking for a Blue Copper Marans rooster of breeding age. I called Fitz farms but he has nothing available. I'm planning to develop a line of Splash Wheatons. I have two blue hens and two Wheatons just no huzbin for them. Does anyone have a reserve rooster or the cock they used last year they would take a fair price for?

I got to work a little in the garden today getting beds ready to plant. Got four weeded and turned. Tomorrow I'm setting plants out and seeding the peas and spinach. I have a flat of pansies and two flats of snapdragons to tuck into the perennials at the ends of the beds. Also sweet Okla-doodle-Doo sent me some flower seeds from his yard. I have some special spots ready to plant those in the flower beds.

We had three calves born today. They aren't as colorful as Bardies new calves, but one has a heart shaped white spot on its face...hope it is a heifer...I want to call it Valentine.

We have some teeny tiny babies hatching in the brooder room that are being shared by two little banty hens...a Birchen Rosecomb and a red colored Delaware cross. I moved them from the wall nest box into a brood cage...eggs, chicks and Moms...they settled in very nicely...clucking and cooing, dropping food for the babies and eggs. I just love first time moms who instinctively know what to do.

Mandy is broody again...remember the hen who was raising so many chicks last year...well I moved her to a wall cage where I had set up a nice nest with 8 eggs. She immediately tucked those eggs in under her chest and I swear I could hear her sigh with contentment. I have eggs in the incubator that will hatch the same day as her eggs so she will get a few extra to raise.

Carl came out this week with the pig heads and took time to look over the Columbian Wyandotte and offer advice. He has a great eye!!! So following his advice, I'm going to pull some cock birds and set up several breeding pens...like most, I'm rooster poor. The hens will certainly appreciate doting on one male.

I want to say hello to everyone on this list. Since I'm fairly new to Backyard Chickens I'm still not real clear on how posting here works. I was happy to find the thread for us Okies. We live about 5 miles east of Moore. I am looking for a Blue Copper Marans rooster of breeding age. I called Fitz farms but he has nothing available. I'm planning to develop a line of Splash Wheatons. I have two blue hens and two Wheatons just no huzbin for them. Does anyone have a reserve rooster or the cock they used last year they would take a fair price for?

:welcome. It is nice to know where you are and what birds you have. Several on here have Marans...someone will pop in with a response to your quest. Sounds like an interesting project.

cheaper somewhere.

I've started buying my essential oils on Amazon. I found a small bottle of frankincense for $32.00 at the store and got it for $9.00 on Amazon.

Bumpers in bloom! She's doing better, but still doesn't eat enough. Today I took a bag of mealworms out, settled her on my lap, and let her eat out of my hand. The rest of the flock got what she scattered as she pecked. I let her go until she was full! The others might be jealous, but hey, haters gonna hate and peckers gonna peck. :D

Last edited:
I got to work a little in the garden today getting beds ready to plant. Got four weeded and turned. Tomorrow I'm setting plants out and seeding the peas and spinach. I have a flat of pansies and two flats of snapdragons to tuck into the perennials at the ends of the beds. Also sweet Okla-doodle-Doo sent me some flower seeds from his yard. I have some special spots ready to plant those in the flower beds.

We had three calves born today. They aren't as colorful as Bardies new calves, but one has a heart shaped white spot on its face...hope it is a heifer...I want to call it Valentine.

We have some teeny tiny babies hatching in the brooder room that are being shared by two little banty hens...a Birchen Rosecomb and a red colored Delaware cross. I moved them from the wall nest box into a brood cage...eggs, chicks and Moms...they settled in very nicely...clucking and cooing, dropping food for the babies and eggs. I just love first time moms who instinctively know what to do.

Mandy is broody again...remember the hen who was raising so many chicks last year...well I moved her to a wall cage where I had set up a nice nest with 8 eggs. She immediately tucked those eggs in under her chest and I swear I could hear her sigh with contentment. I have eggs in the incubator that will hatch the same day as her eggs so she will get a few extra to raise.

Carl came out this week with the pig heads and took time to look over the Columbian Wyandotte and offer advice. He has a great eye!!! So following his advice, I'm going to pull some cock birds and set up several breeding pens...like most, I'm rooster poor. The hens will certainly appreciate doting on one male.
Valentino would be a good name for a boy if the calf turns to to be male.

My husband asked for wasp spray today so my daughter and I stopped at Atwoods. They had a rebate of 1.99 for their 1.99 straight run chicks, making them essentially free. We picked up six even though I had one hen that raised a brood very well last year. I'm pretty sure I have a few RIRs and/or red sex links, but posted on "What breed or Gender is This" if anyone has any opinions.

Thanks!!!

Bumpers in bloom! She's doing better, but still doesn't eat enough. Today I took a bag of mealworms out, settled her on my lap, and let her eat out of my hand. The rest of the flock got what she scattered as she pecked. I let her go until she was full! The others might be jealous, but hey, haters gonna hate and peckers gonna peck.
big_smile.png

go bumpers!! Yes! mealies have all those extra minerals and vitamins to help her get her energy back!

i did a little research on fly repellant plants, since our porch is inundated every year- well i tried recomended plants, and it seems to be working so far

marygold, lavendar, bazil, and mints- we can actually walk on our porch- now if i can find plants to deter wasps.....

I've started buying my essential oils on Amazon. I found a small bottle of frankincense for $32.00 at the store and got it for $9.00 on Amazon.

Bumpers in bloom! She's doing better, but still doesn't eat enough. Today I took a bag of mealworms out, settled her on my lap, and let her eat out of my hand. The rest of the flock got what she scattered as she pecked. I let her go until she was full! The others might be jealous, but hey, haters gonna hate and peckers gonna peck.
big_smile.png

glad she is doing better

Back
Top Bottom