Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mallen that is some great info. I never knew how to calibrate one!I dont know if mine is right either I have a analog one along with a digital and they are within 3-4% so I figure in between the two would be a good place to set lol

Faeri the good news is if you hatch afew chicks the humidity will shoot up. Winter is a tough time to get humidity right. I know your pain there. If the temp was off a couple degrees you could, as you think, have a delayed hatch. Ive had chicks hatch out in low humidity without getting stuck so hopefuly you'll get a few to hatch and boost that humidity. Do you have any pips yet? If your humidity wasnt so low id suggest candling a few to see if you can see any movement around the aircell line, but you cant afford to lose what you have right now. ive got one of the springfield precision hydrometers here and the humidity reading doesnt work on one of the two that i have. It got to high one time and never worked again, always reads 20% nomatter what the other says, but i still use it for the temp to compare to the other. You could try putting your head by the bator to listen for any chirping. They dont have to pip the shell to hear it if there being vocal in there, but not hearing it wouldnt mean anything yet either.

Quote:
yippiechickie.gif
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Disclaimer: you have found a wonderful group of people, some of whom are addicted to poultry auctions, buying poultry and hatching eggs. Since some of us are also enablers, we will want to assist you in acquiring the same addictions if you don't already have them.

With that in mind, your birds are beautiful. You live in Tuttle where OkCarla and Gerald live and they are experts at raising almost any kind of poultry and sell wonderful hatching eggs and baby chicks and turkey poults, and you are not very far from the Blanchard auction which is held the 2nd and 4th Saturday and the Alex auction which is the 2nd and 4th Friday night. It shouldn't be too long before you too, are over-run with chickens.
smile.png

Quote:
Jeannie, You are welcome.
Al, thank you for providing transport.

Between taking chickens to Cement last weekend and chickens and ducks to Blanchard this week, I should cut my feed bill by 2-3 sacks per month.
woot.gif

Now, if I could just figure out how to come home with fewer rabbits than I took to sell.
roll.png
Keep my hands in my pockets?
hu.gif

Quote:
Oh NO!!!! not another football night!!!!! Buster I'm sending my wife to your house and you can watch the game while I watch something else!LOL

Oh, man! Too late! The game is over. I've learned not to check these boards until after games. Tell her she is welcome next time to some good Oklahoma hospitality, and you can get some peace and quiet.

Fortunately my 'Boys won. Now we need to head on up to Minnesota to see what that old man up there has left in him. Not much, I'm hopin'.

I can't believe what a great day it was...got my coops cleaned out and caught up...

Then we hit the road...Me and Mikey all alone... driving through the plains...Then we....

Stopped at Jake's Rib and munched out!!! Then...

On to Blanchard!! Where I...Got to hug Teach!! Harass Al!! Talk to Maribeth!! Meet Jer-Man! And Debra! And BUY CHICKENS!! Get a mystery egg from Carla and Gerald! (Who is still hot deuce and a half not withstanding!!)

On the way home I told Mikey we had ribs on the dash and chickens in the back....it don't get any better!!!

Missed meeting Faeries!!! And hugging Buster!!!

All ya Okies are really the best... and you know who you are.
love.gif

Oh and before you all find out I have feet of clay... I actually bought a roo!!!
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
And I love him!!

See ya tomorrow after sleep and church!!

P.S. ETA I also finally got to talk to Mike from Cement... and he is a really sweet guy!!

Last edited:
Quote:
OK, well.. wait a minute. When you say you tested it does that mean that you actually "calibrated" it? What I mean is, if you're using one of the digital units that shows temp and humidity and you didn't spend hundreds for it then the humidity reading is probably off, maybe a lot.

Mix 1/2 cup of salt in 1 cup of water in a regular ol coffee cup. Put this cup into a large zip-lock bag then set your meter in the bag beside the cup and zip it up. Let it set there at room temp for 12 hours. Your humidity reading should be 75%.

Lets say the reading is 65%, that's 10 points low, so when you use the meter in the bator and it reads 40% (for example) you'll needs to add 10 to get the correct reading, which would be 50%.

Another thing that can make the digital meters inaccurate is the battery(ies). Weak batteries will cause wrong readings, so always use new batteries for each hatching cycle. I use rechargables.

Not trying to be a know-it-all, just trying to help.

No, I tested it, using the exact method that you just described, which I found in the incubating/hatching part of the forum. I can't calibrate it because it's not a high dollar one, it's one of the 3 that I bought before my first attempt. I did get paranoid and change the batteries first before testing it... found out it was reading 9 low, and bought a new wafer for the 'bator because I didn't know if the last batch got too hot once because the only eggs that hatched were the ones right in front of the fan.

I've been really paranoid about this batch. This is the third time I've tried incubating, and the first time was a total loss, the second time I got 12 out of 42. The main problem right now is that I can't get the humidity up and I'm worried that it's compromising the hatch. Since it's only day 22, I'm not counting it as a loss yet.

It seems really odd to me, I've used the type incubator you're using before and I can't imagine the humidity being so low with all the water you have in there. The one I had was a forced air type with a fan, does yours have a fan or is it a still air type? If it's still air you could get the humidity up by adding warm water.

Quote:
To be honest, I'm not surprised. With a humidifier and several saline sprays a day, J and I are getting daily nosebleeds (and his are more like 2-3 times a day). For some reason, it's just that dry in the house. I don't know what's going on. When I put three dryer sheets in the dryer and pull out clothes that will electrocute you, there's a problem.
lol.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom