Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
To be honest, I'm not surprised. With a humidifier and several saline sprays a day, J and I are getting daily nosebleeds (and his are more like 2-3 times a day). For some reason, it's just that dry in the house. I don't know what's going on. When I put three dryer sheets in the dryer and pull out clothes that will electrocute you, there's a problem.
lol.png

If you have a gas fired furnace that will do it. Instead of a room type humidifier run a vaporizer like for illness. It will put a greater volume of water into the air and then use some small fans for circulation.

I guess it is good morning to everyone now!

We got back from Blanchard around 9:30 and not to rub it in to those who did not go, I had a lot of fun. Oh and a big thanks to Jerry for making sure the auction barn was heated!!!
thumbsup.gif
It was nice to see Marybeth (thanks for the honey), Henny, Teach, Al, Carla, Gerald, Stephanie, Carl, Jer-man and your lovely wife. Missed seeing everyone else, the next Blanchard auction is on the 23rd so you all need to pencil it in your calender. K?
pop.gif

It has been about 3 months since I have been to an auction and even though there were not a lot of birds it was really fun. I did snag some cool birds. A light blue and a black Ameraucana hens, a white polish crested hen, two black cochin/polish crested crosses, a mystery hen ??? and a partridge rooster who is so cute. They will all make good additions to the flock.
D.gif

To Concreteguy51
welcome-byc.gif
, I see someone has already posted the disclaimer. Yes we encourage and foster an overall addiction to poultry in general. Side note to disclaimer: I have found that people are more understanding of drug addiction then they are to poultry addiction. So do not be surprised at the looks you will get.
hide.gif

Well folks it is getting really late. I have been up since 7am and only had 4 hours of sleep last night, so I'm getting a bit tired. Going to go to bed and dream of bidding on chickens.
yippiechickie.gif
Night All!!!

Quote:
I can see it now............. Your DD leaves her door open, your bedroom door is open, it's 3:00 am and the rooster hopps up on your belly and crows loudly proclaiming he is King of the hill LOLLLLLLL. I would love to see the look on your face, not to mention what Carolyns reaction will be.

AL

yuckyuck.gif

Great news for me! I'm lactose intolerant! But the doc seems to think I can take a couple rounds of probiotics and get stuff straightened out. The lack of probiotics is most likely the cause of all my other weird symptoms too. Finally getting somewhere, I'm not a total lost cause!
lol.png

Just had to share with someone, I was excited. Lol
roll.png
big_smile.png
I can't wait to eat ice cream again!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I see theres lots of members in my area. Thats cool . As for going to auctions. I like to raise my bantams from chicks. It seems like every time I buy adult fowl I just get there culls. Plus I like raising chicks, watching them grow!! I got pens I need to clean, but its been so cold here as u guys know. I also got some I need to dub. I hate doing that to my little banty roosters. They do look better, after they heal.

Quote:
Hey, County, I'm diagnosed lactose intolerant, but I had read somewhere it had to do with how milk is processed. I recently bought some raw milk and had absolutely no symptoms. We are going get a subscription going with a local raw milk farmer and I'll let you know if that holds out.

It is from Guernsey cows and is very heavy with cream, so we are contemplating churning our own butter and making our own ice cream, maybe even cheese if we can figure that one out. I'll test that out for you too.
big_smile.png

I didn't believe it when I was told that, but so far it is holding up.

Quote:
I got that. I'm done buying birds from auctions for the most part. Except for the gorgeous Dark Cornish roo I recently picked up for a dollar and a duck for two at Fletcher, I haven't been very happy with the results. I now mostly go to pick up good equipment for cheap and to hang out with friends. I'm in the market for some of those plastic chicken crates for processing day. The stuff I have is okay for a few birds, but once I get really serious about this meat bird thing I need something more efficient. I have had good luck with birds if I know whom they came from. I like buying Carla's eggs and birds. Great luck with those. Other than that, not much.

I might pick up some young rabbits soon since they seem to go cheap, see if I can do the whole grow them out and kill-the-bunny routine before I get my breeding stock of Polyface rabbits. Might do the same with my first meat goats.

BTW, I love that you call them "banty" roosters. I grew up calling them that and the first time I ever heard or saw the word "bantam" was this year. At first I didn't know what the heck they were talking about! "OH! You mean banty rooster!"
lol.png

Last edited:
Well, I'm kinda sad about one thing. My main rooster Randy appears to have been deposed. I never really thought it would happen, at least not for a long time. He is a big guy and only a little over two years old. But, that new Dark Cornish rooster is a brute of a bird, so I guess I'm not too surprised.

He looked depressed last night when I went out to lock up the coop so I checked him out. Had a bloody comb from a recent fight. I looked at the other guy and not a mark. He was strutting, and Randy just sat on his roost with his head tucked into his feathers.

Time marches on, and the world goes to the young and the strong.

Quote:
All these disclaimers you have been reading are far from the truth....It's actually worse that they say.... back in the day I never would have bought a rooster!! Al MADE me do it!! I like to say our thread is like your local mental ward.....sorta like Silence of the Lambs....Don't get too close to the bars....

My rooster is still awesome and Tommy Boy seems to have survived the night in fine fashion... (Fat man in a little coat!!)... will get pictures out after I go get spiritual on the git-tah!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom