Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I found out the hard way last night that you cannot make instant pudding with soy milk... Now I've got a bowl of chocolate smoothie in the fridge. Tastes awesome though!

Hey my Maran roo doesn't walk or run like normal chickens, he gallops like he's riding his own miniature pony. My dad swears its because he doesn't know what to do with the feathers on his feet. Lol. What is that about? Do any of ya'lls do that??

Hey Okes... Gorgeous day out!! Been out cleaning out the garage...

I'm already stressing about Thomas the turkey... are they more low key than chickens? Mine appears to be sunning itself, and not much else. He tweaked a leg getting off the roost this morning...doesn't seem to be too bad...no swelling and he was limping on it....right now he is out in the hay gawking around...maybe I should go offer him a beer or something!

Faeries...I liked your kitchen inventory. I have been thinking of streamlining mine, but hate to part with stuff my mom has given me. One year she got me all these funny shaped cake pans...boy do those suckers take up space!! So does my salad spinner...rice cooker....crock pot and rotisserie...I got a lot of big bulky stuff!

Got the garage cleaned out....Papa Elf and his gals are sunning out on the driveway. Was wondering if I could leave them outside in their cage. Up against the east wall of my house...my chimney sticks out there so they would be protected on the north and the west...Thought I could cover them with a moving blanket at night? If the weather gets nasty I could always put them back in the garage... They would be right by my bedroom window so if there was any crises I could hear them easy enough...I would croak if something happened to Papa Elf...Don't know why I am so attached to him.... fell in love at first sight....probably be a flogger..... with my luck!

6008_papa_elf_003.jpg

6008_papa_elf_002.jpg

6008_papa_elf_006.jpg

6008_papa_elf_001.jpg

The close up is a little blurry because my camera is about to take the permanent cruise in the bronze handled sedan......

Oh my gosh!! I just finished filing end of year tax returns and now I just feel like going back to bed. Hi Okies!

I haven't looked at the current weather to see if it's above freezing here yet - if it is I'll let the chickens out in the back yard - they haven't been out since well before Christmas and they are Not Happy about it.

Buster - I feel for you and your dog - there are too many times I've reacted negatively to what I found out later was a dog trying to tell me something I just misunderstood.

We drank raw milk when I was growing up and look at what it did to me! My grandad used to switch the lids on the glass milk jars we kept in the frig - he'd put the buttermilk lid on the regular (what we called skimmed) milk jar and wait for me to go pour a glass - he'd laugh so hard when he saw my "Yuck!!" expression when that icky buttermilk hit my taste buds. Of course, I caught on quick - buttermilk is different colored than the skimmed milk, but sometimes I'd pour a small glass anyway and make the face just for his benefit. What we called skimmed milk is raw whole milk we let sit 'til the cream rose to the top, then we'd skim the cream off with a ladle. You can't really get ALL the cream off, so it was important to shake the jar to mix it up even after it was skimmed. Separated milk is what we'd put through the electric separator machine to separate the cream - we only did this about twice a week. We milked Guernseys and Jerseys. Guernseys were my favorite because they are taller - easier to sit under and have big teats - easier to milk. I still believe I could sleep and milk at the same time - I'd rest my head in the cow's warm flank and close my eyes - but sometimes I'd really doze off and drop the bucket held between my knees. I can't drink warm milk. Al - don't expect the raw milk to taste ANYTHING like what you get in the store.

I'm know I'm way late, but
welcome-byc.gif
concreteguy and fletcherauction!!

Faerie - do you like black chickens or red chickens? My Australorps and Rhode Island Reds are really good layers.

Well just heard from J that the class that he's taking this week might not be getting out until 8pm Mon-Sat in order to not have class on Sunday.

Good thing I've driven to Lawton many times and Fletcher isn't but a little bit off the Turnpike, so there won't be much of that driving in the country stuff. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to suck it up... at least this weekend there won't be any kids in the car. My daughter is spending the night with my sister's family, and J's ex-wife has this coming weekend as her visitation.

Hey Guys!

Fletcher Poultry Auction Will Be having their sale on the 3rd Saturday each month.... We will also have a sale on the 5th Saturdays when they come around.... So that would be 3rd and 5th on approx. every 3rd month. So We would have 2 sales a month on those months and only one on the other.... So put us down for 3rd and 5th Saturdays of the month.... We start at 5pm. We will have a sale this saturday January 16, 2010 @ 5pm. For those coming from I-44...We are 5 miles north on HWy 277 from Exit #53. Turn east on North Drive road. We are located just before the railroad tracks on the left hand side. For those coming from 277. Just follow 277 South Until you get to the "WildCat Express" Drive thru. Turn East on North Drive..... And we are located on the left before the railroad tracks. For More Directions call me 405-664-5645

Quote:
Could be a thing to try, they have Madagascar Games but I didn't want to order a lot of them.

Um... I, ah... yeah, I want some too.
big_smile.png

Sad thing is, they're weak and don't handle shipping well. Especially to get to me since it takes 2 - 3 days. So, if anyone has a good delivery time on day-olds, I'd like to piggy back for some Madagascar Games - straight run.

Quote:
Could be a thing to try, they have Madagascar Games but I didn't want to order a lot of them.

big_smile.png

Sad thing is, they're weak and don't handle shipping well. Especially to get to me since it takes 2 - 3 days. So, if anyone has a good delivery time on day-olds, I'd like to piggy back for some Madagascar Games - straight run.

Well, I have enough right now to make the order. If you and NN want in on it, I can order Madagascar games and see if they'll make it. It really depends on y'all.

Quote:

big_smile.png

I can also keep you in mind when mine start laying again... I have one rooster and 2 hens---Dark Brahmas

FYI - when ordering a small quantity from Ideal Poultry, they only add as many packing peanuts as they think are needed to help keep your minimum order warm. I ordered 10 pullets from them last February and they sent 6 packing peanuts, so I only had a few extras to get rid of - good thing Bigokie was around for me to give them to! (Thanks again, Chuck!)

Faeri Just a thought,you may want to oreder an extra roo and pullet. You know how it is when you try to raise something and only have one. And if you manage to raise the extra two,they should not be hard to get rid of as a pair. I'm just saying...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom