Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I haven't tried it before, but I've been reading about it and that's what I'm doing now. Will be awhile before I have test results.

I tried it accidently many years ago. I thought the wife was keeping the water topped off and she thought I was....... Turned out to be a very good hatch.

Do you still use this method???

Quote:
I tried it accidently many years ago. I thought the wife was keeping the water topped off and she thought I was....... Turned out to be a very good hatch.

In the older Hovabators with the wafer switch it works great. Now the newer ones with the electronic thermostats the fan runs constantly and will tend to dry the eggs out more. Instead of adding water I convert them to the wafer switch and re-wire the fan.

In the Sportsman I tend to try to run a 30-40% humidity all through the incubation period, even hatching time. My Hovabators are completely dry until hatching time when just a tad bit of water is added, a couple of tablespoons, and then the vents are closed up and the bator is not opened for three or more days.

Quote:
Is that Maddie wearing 'tie die', sheesh, that brings back memories.....late 60's early 70's....oops, that dates me.

11 year old DD + messy room = Normal Operating Procedure.

Yes purple tye dye! She has many of them.

Quote:
You get whole peppers and crush them, seeds and all. Well save a few seeds to plant, they grow very well in our climate.

How many do you plant??? Do you feed all the time or just once a month or what?

Just sprinkle a little over their feed weekly. A shaker like from a pizza place works well for that. I will usually plant about 50 or so plants but I use a lot of peppers when I cook!!

Quote:

In the older Hovabators with the wafer switch it works great. Now the newer ones with the electronic thermostats the fan runs constantly and will tend to dry the eggs out more. Instead of adding water I convert them to the wafer switch and re-wire the fan.

In the Sportsman I tend to try to run a 30-40% humidity all through the incubation period, even hatching time. My Hovabators are completely dry until hatching time when just a tad bit of water is added, a couple of tablespoons, and then the vents are closed up and the bator is not opened for three or more days.

You gave me so much information that I am not sure if that is a yes or no. I am assuming that you re-wire so the fan doesn't blow all the time.....

I have a still air & think that I may try it with the next hatch....

Quote:
I bet that was easy to find, all homes are on land.... Ummmm, maybe I'm confused??

Nice hatch

Quote:
How many do you plant??? Do you feed all the time or just once a month or what?

Just sprinkle a little over their feed weekly. A shaker like from a pizza place works well for that. I will usually plant about 50 or so plants but I use a lot of peppers when I cook!!

You dry them & crush them & prinkle weekly.....I will see if that is something I can add to our garden.

Another good use for hot peppers is a pest deterrant. Take and boil up a good batch of peppers to release the juices and then use it as a spray in the garden. Both insects and furry rodents will avoid chewing on your plants.

Chickens and other birds though do not have the receptors for "hot" in their mouths so it isn't a deterrant for them.

Morning all! Rebecca sorry bout the cat.
hugs.gif
Went to IHOP this morning they are having free pancakes til 10 pm today. But give a donation to help Children's Miracle Network.
clap.gif
The boys saw the commercial and they want to go for dinner, so I am going twice.
woot.gif

I use the pumpkins to worm I just throw some out there every couple months even the goats and sheep eat them. Walmart had them for 25 cents last year after Halloween, I bought alot of the small ones and froze them. Sams might have cayenne pepper in a bigger container.

Quote:

You gave me so much information that I am not sure if that is a yes or no. I am assuming that you re-wire so the fan doesn't blow all the time.....

I have a still air & think that I may try it with the next hatch....

With a still air it should work great and yes I still do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom