Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Cuban, they quite possibly could be Kelso or a cross of them, I had forgotten about Kelsos, I know that my hen is wing and seamless leg banded so she must have been important to someone at sometime to take time to band her twice!!!! Maybe she is pure or was part of a breeding program of someones, I think she is beautiful and love the dark hackle and tail on her, and the fact that she is setting on a dozen or so of her own eggs!!!!! Lynn

Lynn - Had Pa-Pa look at your roo. Yup, back in
the day, he was all into the "game" birds.......
He says that is a "beautiful Claret rooster".
He says they come in that coloring, spangled,
and white. Good lookin' bird.

Everyone, take care in this heat. Is gonna
be rough for a few more days.

Happy Father's Day to all.

ok guys- here are the roos i need homes for.... seems like i can't pick a silkie pullet to save my life...

staypuff.jpg

r1.jpg

myrtle2.jpg

by the way, looks like lucy and my disabled silkie roo are getting along together- finally someone she won't pick on or get chased by, go figure

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all of the daddies out there! Take a nap in your chair or on the couch...you know you want to!!

Well we got everyone in the big coop wormed this morning. I hope that this helps!

The Polish pullet is not getting better--so I don't think it is botulism...she is still earing drinking and preening but can't do much else.

On a side note: I need to provide more shade for our BIG chicken run. Does anyone have a great tip in regards to that? Projects that don't cost too much...our budget is TIGHT!

Well I am going to go check on the birds...hope you are all being sensible in the heat! Not like my Dad who went outside at noon to run they chipper/shredder in the blazing hot sun!

on your polish- i have a disabled silkie, when i got him he couldn't walk, so he got frequent baths to keep him clean and massaged his legs to prevent atrophy in his muscles, took about 4 months and he gradually got mobile- so it is possible something is going on with nerves- give her a vitamin e capsule 2 times a day on her beak, if it is neurological that might help-

How about layering some tree branches or Cedar branches on top and on the west/south sides of the cages for shade!!!! Could use some old sheets or blankets, check garage sales for good buys!!!! Lynn

Quote:

Last edited:
Thanks Pa-Pa!!!!! I was thinking Claret and was pretty sure the hen looked Claret due to the light color with real dark tail and neck. Cubin mentioned Kelso but I think the Kelso is more upright stationed. thanks, Lynn

TJ's Na-Na :

Lynn - Had Pa-Pa look at your roo. Yup, back in
the day, he was all into the "game" birds.......
He says that is a "beautiful Claret rooster".
He says they come in that coloring, spangled,
and white. Good lookin' bird.

Everyone, take care in this heat. Is gonna
be rough for a few more days.

Happy Father's Day to all.​

Quote:

i use old sheets and lay them over the fence, then hose them down periodically- also i get some treats for them, scrach or whatever and freeze them in ice and it gives them something cold to play with

Quote:
I use cheap tarps you can pick up at Atwoods or Walmart when they are on sale. That is what I have over the grow out pens and the transition pens. Atwoods has the 8x10 ones on sell for $2 or 3 but even regular price is only about $4 I think. You can use old sheets or blankets but they will get nasty quick unless you cover them with acrylic paint. I have done that with sheets and they will work for a while but with what you will spend in paint, time and mess the tarps are a better deal.

Another way to get the tarps to last longer is if you do have some extra paint laying around, slap a coat on what ever side is exposed to the sun. I have a cheap $4 tarp I just recently had to throw away because if finally fell apart that I have had for 7 years.

Anyway hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom