Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
When out and about you might get some hand-feeding formula for baby birds that is made by Katee at someplace like Petsmart. Even if you don't use it all it will keep in the freezer for a long time and is handy for sick birds.

I don't know who brought the EE eggs and the turken eggs to Alex that I bought 3 weeks ago, but they had an incredibly high hatch rate. Most of the turkens are black or blue
love.gif
I had a dozen beneath a hen and moved her too soon, after she had only hatched out two chicks. She abandoned the rest of the eggs to take care of the two chicks. One more egg hatched this morning and this evening when I was taking out the rest of the eggs, two were audibly peeping so I put those beneath her and will keep my fingers crossed. I then checked the incubator and the other 15 turken eggs had hatched today. I turned out the light in the coop and stuffed handfuls of turken chicks beneath the Malay hen. Hopefully, she will accept them since they are all about the same color.

The Malay hen that hatched only one chick has adopted the Saipan chicks that the Saipan mother was ignoring, while awaiting the hatch of the rest of her eggs. So now I have 6 chicks with the Malay mama hen in a cage and one Saipan chick being protected by the Saipan hen. Hopefully, I will get some roosters out of this hatch. Yes, I know, we don't normally want roosters, but I would like another Saipan rooster since the current one froze some toes off this past winter and I would like to have a replacement roo on standby.

It was 105 deg. here today and we just broke down and brought our Cochin Bantam breeders and show show birds into the house:idunno. Our Seramas were the only ones in the show/breeding barn that acted like they didn't care what the temp was doing. All of our big Cochins are turned loose in the back yard working hard to stay cool laying around with their behinds stuck up in the air almost standing on their heads. So far we've been lucky and only lost one young 3 month old black giant cochin and one young call duck drake that just would'nt stop trying to chase the girls.
he.gif
He jumped into the water after running after the girls like an overly hormoned idiot and was dead in less than 5 minutes.
sickbyc.gif

My wife and I talked it over and we will just keep bringing the birds in and stacking the cages in the mud room area until the weather breaks below 100. I hope everyone else can keep up the hard work keeping the chickens and other birds as cool as possible until cooler weather gets here. Like everyone else we just hate losing our birds.

Quote:
Kronk, not even going to apologize. We are so high in the mountains that at the top is a snow cap.
Kinda hard to breath sometimes with this elevation. I don't know if I want to endure winter here. Last
January was 4 foot of snow all winter. As it is said here. EVERYTHING is down-hill.

I do travel to other locations that is Hotter than I care for it to be, 130-145 degrees. With 92 pounds
of combat gear on, sweat my hinny off.

Quote:
Kronk, not even going to apologize. We are so high in the mountains that at the top is a snow cap.
Kinda hard to breath sometimes with this elevation. I don't know if I want to endure winter here. Last
January was 4 foot of snow all winter. As it is said here. EVERYTHING is down-hill.

I do travel to other locations that is Hotter than I care for it to be, 130-145 degrees. With 92 pounds

Think the hottest ever saw over there was 147 In full gear sitting on the road waitting for recovery. OOOH how I loved it over there. Try the Goat it was ??? Something.

Morning guys- out to get some work done before it gets nasty- stay cool guys!

Quote:
yep- we have done that too- all the banties are in, Taras cocheral- Mr Munch, and am seriously looking at the waterfowl and whether there would be anyway to move them in in the afternoons.... and i just may move the 3 month olds in- only 3 of them

Quote:
shavon! I am so sorry!! if you need a home for her, i will take her, if someone can taxi her up this way.... i am getting to feel that way about my banties- i love the big guys, but the banties have me wrapped around their little toes!

Quote:

Think the hottest ever saw over there was 147 In full gear sitting on the road waitting for recovery. OOOH how I loved it over there. Try the Goat it was ??? Something.

Hotest I saw it was 177 in Aug, 2003, so hot the Army didn't have a thermometer to measure the heat. Had to get the Air Force meterological group to use tarmat equip to measure it.

So hot the locals wouldn't even bother to shoot at you or steal from you. BTW, had goat night before last and YES it was good.

Shavon! So sorry you lost the white cochin pullet - she was really pretty.

Rebecca - that's just terrible about your hen's beak - I hope you can find a way to save her.

Oh yeah - it's HOT here, too. I just leave a hose running a little bit in the run - the hens all stand or sit in the water.

Doc - so good to see you on - take care of yourself!

Everyone have a great day.

Quote:
Maribeth,

I am the egg donor for the Turken Eggs. The Little Blue Boy I got Les must have been doing his job. Lol.... Everyone of the one I have hatched from my girls have been either black, blue or a buff color. I am glad they were good and fertile. I hope you enjoy them. If I get some eggs saved up from the new guy that I got at my sale a couple weeks ago, I will save you some eggs.

Peaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom