Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Back in the day I had quite an assortment of Victors but I made the best money from calling in coyotes. Don't know what prices are now but in about '75 it was 40 for a Coyote and 70 for a 'coon. I could make more in a month of trapping then I could in 6mos of working fast food.

Quote:
I just have some random bantams that I need to get rid of so I have more room for her show chickens.

I didn't get the one's dubbed that needed to be dubbed before this show, I got tied up doing the house & forgot about it. They had to be done by Nov 1st.

Is one of the random bantams an NN rooster?

Not sure on that one yet, I would like to find a hen with pretty yellow legs & figure out how to get rid of the grey in the roo's legs. OH LES, where are you tonight. Or anyone that knows about breeding.

Quote:
Back in the day I had quite an assortment of Victors but I made the best money from calling in coyotes. Don't know what prices are now but in about '75 it was 40 for a Coyote and 70 for a 'coon. I could make more in a month of trapping then I could in 6mos of working fast food.

I have often wondered where you sell skins these days? What are they used for?

yep a guy offered me $12 apiece on them not long after i moved to the country.i kept my fav roo an 2 hens an ive raised 2 more this year.i just been raisin cross birds for the asains here lately an alot of rir
Quote:

what happened to all of them did you sell out on us???

Quote:

Les, I sold a ton of coon hides back in the mid to late 70's. I hunted on weekends to help pay my way at college.
We hunted with dogs. It was nothing to make a few hundred bucks a night. I told Jared he will be lucky to get a dollar per hide these days.

Quote:
According to the book of standards they are suppose to have yellow legs. The one that I got from you has all the correct bald spots & looks really good except the legs. I just thought if I can figure out the breeding aspect then I might use that as a project for me.

Someone tell me what they use the hides for no adays.

Night Monty

Okay,I didn't know about the color requirements. I think the yellow legged one I have came out of a cross with my golden comet roo.

If they are shipping the furs to another country,you proably don't want to know what they do with them!lol

If everything but the leg color is good I would breed back to a good bantam RIR hen which will add good body type along with helping to clear up the legs.

There are still places that sell fine fur products. The nice thing about fur is that it can be dyed to make it any species that you want it to be. As long as the texture of the hair is the same an unsuspecting buyer won't know the difference between many of the different critters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom