Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Obviously, we are not looking in the right places. I have decided that my luck raising NNs from chicks is so poor, that I am money ahead to buy them fully grown.

I think the other chickens must pick on the younger NNs. Maybe I would have better luck if I kept them totally isolated from other breeds in the grow out pens.

Les, the NN pigeons are actually cute. So, I guess they are REALLY hard to find? Do pigeon fanciers have to just buy adults from breeders and at auctions? I have never seen them sold as juveniles. (of course, I don't really know what a juvenile pigeon would look like compared to an adult or if they require special feeding until they are adults.)

We have never had problems raising them. We start them off on game bird starter mixed 50/50 with boiled egg less the shell. That is how we start all of our birds and they do a lot better that way.

For the NNs we don't use medicated feed either, they don't need it.

Quote:
Sorry you are having problems with pain
hugs.gif

That said, do you see what you started among some of us who formerly didn't particularly want NNs? We have become competitive for them because they are so hard to find.
barnie.gif
gig.gif
hugs.gif

I know ... Les and his persuasive & informative personality is definitely the reason we continue to raise NNs ... and the reason we have Komondor livestock guardians now too.
big_smile.png

Good night everyone.
frow.gif

Quote:
Maybe my failure to keep NNs going as teenagers is due to nutrition then. I have been feeding them the same thing I feed all my chicken chicks - chick starter for 12 weeks and then egg layer feed.

I did finally get better on the pheasant chicks and button quail chicks when I fed them the game bird starter.
clap.gif

It seems funny to me that with most studies on either broilers or layers they will use NNs as the control group that they measure the other breeds by. This tells me that the breed is very predictable and rock solid as to type.

There is a program in South America where they are having villages in the jungles raise Nns due to their disease resistance and their tolerance to the heat as a sustainable ag. product.

Quote:
Sorry you are having problems with pain
hugs.gif

That said, do you see what you started among some of us who formerly didn't particularly want NNs? We have become competitive for them because they are so hard to find.
barnie.gif
gig.gif
hugs.gif

I know ... Les and his persuasive & informative personality is definitely the reason we continue to raise NNs ... and the reason we have Komondor livestock guardians now too.
big_smile.png

Good night everyone.
frow.gif

I think that is a formal endorsement for Les being an enabler. We know he also has great knowlege regarding chicken health, but I had forgotten his persuasiveness regarding the Komondor dogs.
cool.png

Good night all - I still have a few things to take care of before bed and want to be able to get up before noon tomorrow so I can go out to Mary's.

Before we could get the game bird starter we found that raising Poults was possible by feeding the boiled egg and regular chick starter. We learned about doing this at a swap meet in Ks. from a guy that raised the Broad-Breasted Whites. His birds averaged 50 pounds at slaughter.

Quote:
I think that South America is a little far for me to go, to obtain NN hens. Even if they are blue.
wink.png

It is neat that the NNs are sufficiently consistent to be used as a control group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom