Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always liked putting a blue rooster over black hens. Many of the blues hatched out of that combination will have black lacing on the blue feathers and the blue will look more fluid, not like it is sprinkled on.

Quote:
No roaming - without training? That would be really nice.
My GP has never jumped up on anyone to my knowlege, but she was at least 4 years old when we got her.
I thought the Komondors required special training to be the kind of guard dog you need them to be. I seem to recall you indicating that they would be "in training" and growing for 2 years.

They are not considered to be adults until their third year. As far as their guarding ability it is deeply rooted in their breeding, it's their social skills and obediance that have to be devoloped. And they are hard-headed too. I'm used to training Dobermans and they catch on fast with little correction. A komondor however has to have a very strict hand.

Oulaw was chewing on the couch after we got him so I corrected him like I would any puppy. Sat back looked at me, then at the couch and did this for a minute or too. Finally decided that the punishment was worth the fun and went back to the couch. I have never had to treat a pup that harshly to correct it but I finally got my point across.

I acknowlege that I am not good at training puppies, which is why I was delighted to acquire a grown Great Pyraneese. I don't know if her nocturnal barking and her wandering tendencies could have been corrected if training had begun when she was younger, but since I don't have the patience to train her her correctly now, I just ignore the barking and try to keep her where she can't get hurt as the result of wandering.

Maybe, I will be fortunate enough to find a well trained adult Komondor in the future, at a price that doesn't require a second mortage.

I have heard that over and over about the GPs and if you will look at the bulliten boards at the stores there are always ads for missing GPs. That is why many are going to the guard Donkeys. I wonder if their popularity has lead to poor breeding because I know that they are used in other countries with little or no problems.

Night Monty, wish I could go to Mary's tomorrow too but we have errends to run.

Oh and I forgot to add. If you want a Komondor it is best to get a pup. They do not switch loyalty easily after they are bonded. That is one reason it is very important to socialize them when young.

And this time I am really getting off of here. Listening to the Pug snore is making me tired!!

Night all.

From what I have read, GPs need about a 2 square mile area to roam in order to be satisfied. Our GP's collar has our home phone engraved on the collar latch and a bright pink hang tag with our cell phone numbers on it. The decision was made to keep her in a yard that she believes has an electric fence around the perimeter after she was found at 11:30 pm on New Years Eve a few years ago, trotting down the middle of a 4 lane busy road, at least 2 miles from our house.
sad.png

Quote:
Good information to have. I just did a search for Komondor rescues and only found one listed in entire U.S.

One advantage of a puppy is that we wouldn't have to fill out an adoption form for a Rescue organization. I have heard that some of them are more difficult to please than an adoption agency placing children.

Good night - for real this time (45 minutes after I said it before
smile.png
)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom