Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning byc guess i can crawl out of my hole and stop hiding now. winter has been a nightmare. here. well actuallyonly 2 daysof the winter were a nightmare. Lost alot of chicks this winter all on the same day due to heat bulbs busting. only thing we can figure is it got to cold for the lamps and they busted. incubator went spiky 2 times lost around 400 eggs there.anyhow. things are looking better. can't wait for spring. to get here.
Other then that been just chicken farming and expanding. I have been trying to select breeds from some of the top breeders I can find this winter. Very exited now that life is looking up. Got my first big order of chicks 100 black aussies. and have been just shipping chicks here and there. Hope all is well with everyone else. If anyone knows where to pick up some bantam dark cornish with good lacingI would like to get a trio. If anyone has any Idea where to get a Bantam white cornish I am in dire need of one.mine just fell over dead just as soon as my hens started laying. no signs or symptoms just died.
Other then that. I have several different cochins for sale anywhere from 1 week old to 1-2 years old. Also have ameruacana pullets and cockerel trios for sale. anyhow hope everyone is doing well Gonna go get some chores done around here. looking forward to those warm days to come.

Morning all,hope everyone has a great day!

Don
cool.png

MM - glad to know you are still chicken ranching. Your last post before this one seemed to indicate that you might be getting out of the chicken business.
Heat lamp bulbs sometimes explode if they are turned on and get some moisture on them, like from a chick touching one by accident. I used to hang them over water bowls, but even with the cage around them it seemed like the chickens would bump against them and the bulb would either burn out or break. . . . even when I used the ones designed for outdoor use.

Let me know when you get some NN pullets about 4 months old. I have decided not to try and raise chicks for awhile since my track record with NN chicks is terrible.
hmm.png

MM good to see you again, as P&B said we have all wondered if you were still around. Sorry for you troubles this winter, I don't think it has been easy on any of us.

OKla-doodle, I have to say that I agree with you. I don't see how someone could strave an animal, it isn't like you can't sell them if you can't feed them.

I got bad news on my kitty cat yesterday so I am sad about that.

Morning all : I have caught some kind of Flu bug and was down for the count all day yesterday with a 102 temp, and have been unable to keep anything down but stuff is still flowing from both ends
sickbyc.gif
. Laura is also sick along with me so it's a mess here at the house, Alyssa seems to be fine go figure. I can be on here today, because I can't handle laying in bed all day LOL.

AL

Sooner,
It really depends on breed, age and where you are located. Like down here we don't have any real dairy goat operations. So a good young milk doe will run about 150.00..where as a meat goat the same age will go for about half that.
Like in the real estate business it's location location location

Don
hmm.png

Don,

I am sure that is true for here also & it isn't something that I plan on doing anytime soon but someday that is the plan. When I retire I will have nothing but all the critters that I don't have time for now!

Al sorry you were hit with the bug, Lil'sooner had it on Friday, so far the rest of us have been lucky enough not to get it.

Thanks P&B my lights were off the ground at least a footso I am thinking it was moisture. I cant ever stop the chicken farming. my birds have grew on me.I have found my land 10 acres in loyal. We go forour first time farm lone threw the FSA the beginning of next month. its all going good there is a giant brand new work shop on the premises thats insulated I plan to turn intoa full blown hatchery.so next years hatch wont be as this years was. I understand the challenge now of raising chicks threw out the winter. I took a total loss of 1000 chicks and eggs this winter. But its not all bad I have also raised some very nice and healthy birds as well. My buckeyes and Cornish have done outstanding.my black aussies equally as well. My new flock of Plymouth white rocks are now laying.my welsummers are laying. I turned the quarenteen barn Les made for me into a heat room for chicks. it stays around 75 degrees even on the coldest of nights. I am wanting todo away with bantam cochins is about all. I have tons of frizzles for sale as well all Different ages and sizes and colors. I invented a new coop that cost me aprox 6-8 dollars to build. Well18 dollars I pay 10 for the boxes. I will get you some pics in a few there like heat boxes they have maintained a temp of 60 degrees I can see my cochins in there bathing suits when its 20 degrees outside.
I will never stop chicken farming its my life.I built my dreams with my 2 hands and I cant see myself letting that go. I am on the prowl for any cornish birds that anyone has avalible. bantam standards doesnt matter. if you all hear of anything please let me know.
wink.png
gonna finish chores and get you these pics of my new coops. there not finished yet still need to build the roof and shingle the whole boxes. but as dry as its been im in no hurry
wink.png

Good morning!

MM - good to see you - glad you are hanging in there. I read a verse in the Bible yesterday that says "for though a righteous man falls seven times, he rises again, but the wicked are brought down by calamity." (Proverbs 24:16). That reminds me of you - you keep getting up again no matter what, where others may just give up at the first sign of trouble.

Sooner - so sorry about your kitty. I know how sad you must be.

Al - get better, friend! I hope you and Laura feel better soon - and what a perfect time to have Alyssa wait on you hand and foot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom