Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
m.ruzycki :

al, how much feed do I need to make available at a time for 100 cornish x, and what feed do you recomend? Im planning to buy 1st of feb. and would like to know as much as possible.

For 100 I would start with putting out as much as they can eat in 12 hrs, I start with Medicated Starter/grower then after 4 wks go to staight grower. I like to feed my meaties on a 12hr rotation I have gotten better results in regards to less heart & leg problems and this equated to less premature die off prior to processing age. I grow mine to different stages, meaning I grow a few dozen to 12 oz little cornish hen's, I grow some to 4-5lb dressed weight and then save the best of the last and grow them to 7-8lb Sunday roasters. I prefer to process my birds at a later date due to the 12hr feed rotation but they grow at a healthier pace IMO. The taste is the same if you butcher at 8 wks or 14, I think a bird that grows a tad slower is much healthier plus it helps me manage the whole process and I have many different types of meat.

I would be happy to help you with any problems or tips you might have.

AL​

Are you ordering Cornish X's or Freedom Rangers ??, these two breeds grow out differently. and the meat is a little different.

AL

Quote:
Did you know that there is a TV show about guys who buy the contents of storage units at auction? I have been facinated by some of the cool things they have found in the units and how much they have made reselling it- by knowing the right buyers to sell to of course. A few weeks ago, the folks being showcased on this show weren't doing much better than breaking even.

I think I have seen every episode of Auction Hunters. I like American Pickers better though.

m.ruzycki :

how do you tell the dif. from a blk star and a australorp? Also what are some names of of some very large white chickens? I got 14 layers for $30 off CL the other day, all diff. breeds and trying to identify some. There was a standard wht cochin, blk cochin, gold laced cochin, some red stars, some blk stars, a few very big white ones, not sure what and a small one that is blk and white that kinda looks mottled with blue lobes. Any ideas on the whites and the blue lobed one ?

An Austrlorp is all black. A black star is black with gold streaks in the neck. The big white ones are probably White Rocks. The black and white one with blue lobes could be a Hamburg or possibly a Silver Campine. What kind of comb does it have.​

Write down the date and time.
Sooner and I are on at the same time in the evening!
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Evening banjo! That's why I thought it might be a serama,the tail being so straight up and the wings dipping down. I agree. He got a good one,especially for that price!
Sooner did you go back and see that pic of the turkens?

Evening Everyone,

I got home late because I had to ..... pick up my new truck! I traded in my Matrix. After six years it was hard to say goodbye to that little work horse. Now I'm driving a 2011 Toyota Tacoma, Access Cab, Standard Bed. That's me and the salesman, Art, in the picture. DH hasn't seen the truck yet, but he gave me the okay to buy it, so now I won't ever have to put chickens inside a vehicle. I'm stoked. I think I need to curb my enthusiasm and not drive all over the state, though. It's only going to get 25 - 30 miles to the gallon, which is quite a bit less than the 36 I got in the Matrix.

Victoria and I will be going to POOPS this year in style! We may even get a cabin and make it a weekend event. One can always dream
roll.png

34274_dscn04372469_wince.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom