Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I would say the 18th give or take a day?. I counted 21 days from the saturday afternoon I put mine under and they hatched the early morning of saturday exactly 3 weeks later

lol.png
EGGciting!!!
thumbsup.gif

I put fertile eggs under two broodies the night of August 28. Sooooo do I count my 21 days from that night or the next morning. This is one type of chicken math I have never had the pleasure of doing before! Should I hope for Wednesday night, Thursday morning? Tuesday? Right now? Ahhhhh!!!!! :-D

I'm excited for you!

I'm excited for you!

Aug 28 would be day 0. So 21 days would be this Thursday. My chicks under my broody started hatching on day 19 and finished on day 20. Five perfectly healthy babies. So darn cute. They are 3 wks old now and free range with mama for short times during the day. So much fun!!! I wish you good luck with your chicks. I totally understand your excitement.

Yay! They started in the middle of the night. I got home from work about 3am and checked to find one hatched under each hen, now we have 5 at least. The Silkie cross is not letting me anywhere near her!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Aug 28 would be day 0. So 21 days would be this Thursday. My chicks under my broody started hatching on day 19 and finished on day 20. Five perfectly healthy babies. So darn cute. They are 3 wks old now and free range with mama for short times during the day. So much fun!!! I wish you good luck with your chicks. I totally understand your excitement.

They started in the wee hours this morning, pictures above :) Eight of twelve so far! One died because it couldn't get out, and the other three are duds or late bloomers. I'll leave them where they are until the girls take the babies out of the nest. Yay! So exciting!!

She has left the eggs. I took. The one remaining egg with a baby in it and wrapped it in a heating pad on low. I don't kniw what else to do. Moved the mom n babes to their own house so they are safe. Really hoping fir this egg tho. FINGERS CROSSED!

Forgive me if I missed the follow up, I'm tired! How did the last egg turn out? Thanks for sharing about the little one that hatched in the compost pile, as a first timer, I am going to leave the eggs that haven't hatched maybe a little longer than until tomorrow, just to be sure...

Back
Top Bottom