Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

We just put 14 Americauna eggs under a broody hen. This is our first time trying to hatch eggs at all, and we figured we might as well do it the ol' fashioned way! Our Buff Orpington is quite happy to have a job! I'm excited to try this out.

We just put 14 Americauna eggs under a broody hen. This is our first time trying to hatch eggs at all, and we figured we might as well do it the ol' fashioned way! Our Buff Orpington is quite happy to have a job! I'm excited to try this out.

Good luck with her!

Is she in an isolated area? If not, did you remember to mark the eggs so you can remove any 'imposter eggs' added by ther flock members?

I left my Wellsummer sitting on Guinea eggs in the hen house with the flock of Easter Eggers and Guineas. She hatched 17 keets and is a fierce protector of her brood.

Good luck with her!

Is she in an isolated area? If not, did you remember to mark the eggs so you can remove any 'imposter eggs' added by their flock members?
Thank you!

She's in a pretty snug nesting box, that we'll be sectioning off. It'll actually be really easy to remove the imposter eggs; we don't have any Americaunas ourselves, but purchased the eggs from someone who had them. Part of the reason we chose Americaunas was because we didn't want to confuse her fertile eggs with the rest of them from our flock.

Last edited:
I'm in Texas and have successfully raised 6 hens and one roo over the last year. Backyard Chickens has been my mother hen teaching me the way
smile.png
I now have a broody Buff Orpington and need some advice. I noticed the hen sitting on 6 eggs this weekend and taking breaks every few hours. I moved 7 more eggs under her. I marked all the eggs and am going to relocate her. I have a few questions/problems. 1) When do I start counting 21 days? Today I noticed she is taking less breaks 2) I might be gone on PIP day
hit.gif
I'm going to candle the eggs before I leave and discard the bad ones. Should I let everything happen naturally? 3) two snakes have gotten in our coop, one in the house, one in the run. Chickens free range so I guess snakes get in while the hens are out. Attached is a pic of the coop. We are building a raised brooder box to put in the pen, with hardware cloth on all sides, plywood top/bottom. Any suggestions how to keep snakes out? 4) the heat, we are having 100 degree days. The temperature should be mid 90's by time babies hatch. Is this too hot?

You guys are wonderful and I can't wait to hear back! P.S. Not a single egg today from the other hens,,,hope broodiness is not contagious
ep.gif

I'm in Texas and have successfully raised 6 hens and one roo over the last year. Backyard Chickens has been my mother hen teaching me the way :) I now have a broody Buff Orpington and need some advice. I noticed the hen sitting on 6 eggs this weekend and taking breaks every few hours. I moved 7 more eggs under her. I marked all the eggs and am going to relocate her. I have a few questions/problems. 1) When do I start counting 21 days? Today I noticed she is taking less breaks 2) I might be gone on PIP day :hit I'm going to candle the eggs before I leave and discard the bad ones. Should I let everything happen naturally? 3) two snakes have gotten in our coop, one in the house, one in the run. Chickens free range so I guess snakes get in while the hens are out. Attached is a pic of the coop. We are building a raised brooder box to put in the pen, with hardware cloth on all sides, plywood top/bottom. Any suggestions how to keep snakes out? 4) the heat, we are having 100 degree days. The temperature should be mid 90's by time babies hatch. Is this too hot? You guys are wonderful and I can't wait to hear back! P.S. Not a single egg today from the other hens,,,hope broodiness is not contagious :eek:
1. If she laid the eggs you might get a staggered hatch. Just count from the time you added the new eggs, but be watching a couple days earlier as broodies have their own schedule. 2. Don't worry if not home mom does the work. Actually sometimes it is best not to be home as you might get excited and interfer. I was gone on vacation when my last batch hatched. 3. Not sure about snakes if you open door 4. I have had several successful hatches with temperature between 100-109, but little humidity. I believe humidity is the bigger problem than temperature

1. If she laid the eggs you might get a staggered hatch. Just count from the time you added the new eggs, but be watching a couple days earlier as broodies have their own schedule.
2. Don't worry if not home mom does the work. Actually sometimes it is best not to be home as you might get excited and interfer. I was gone on vacation when my last batch hatched.
3. Not sure about snakes if you open door
4. I have had several successful hatches with temperature between 100-109, but little humidity. I believe humidity is the bigger problem than temperature

That is a beautiful coop.

Back
Top Bottom