old hen has neurological issues or blind??

elissarules

Songster
Dec 20, 2017
Pennsylvania
my older hen, henrietta (approx 8/9 years old), has been acting a bit strange. her head will softly sway forward and back, she’s having issues understanding depth or where treats are. if i’m holding a peach, she will recognize it is a treat, but peck all the way around until she eventually gets it. her poopy butt implies cocci but i’m reading contradictory information on whether or not it could cause neurological issues. we did have a case of marek’s a few years ago, so i know they all carry it. she doesn’t seem to be showing ocular marek symptoms tho (see eyes). does anyone know what to do? TIA
E6BE1BFD-B955-4E2B-9CED-4E70C7B17F88.jpeg
B7A04019-B789-46CB-9B14-3D339BD34A52.jpeg 9C89B7C3-3332-4E14-B67E-7B22C87E14CB.jpeg

Attachments

• 7C4C9BBB-DE03-4715-8966-E26B3D6171C5.jpeg
    7C4C9BBB-DE03-4715-8966-E26B3D6171C5.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 2
I don’t see anything too abnormal in her eyes like the grey eye of ocular Mareks, or cloudiness of the pupils as cataracts will have. Her conjunctiva in both eyes is a bit prominent which can produce the sunken appearance of past mycoplasma. But she could be losing her vision. Can you get a short video of her neck movements? Those have to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here.

As for her vent area, it just looks soiled from loose droppings. I would soak her in a bipucket of warm soapy water and rinse that off to clean her up. Flies can lay eggs and cause maggot infection. A bit of probiotics or cottage cheese and plain greek yogurt are good to help with diarrhea. Worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer might be helpful as well. Or have your vet do a fecal on her droppings to look for parasites. Reproductive problems can also cause loose poops. She is pretty old for most chickens, and I have been fortunate to have a few reach her age.

I don’t see anything too abnormal in her eyes like the grey eye of ocular Mareks, or cloudiness of the pupils as cataracts will have. Her conjunctiva in both eyes is a bit prominent which can produce the sunken appearance of past mycoplasma. But she could be losing her vision. Can you get a short video of her neck movements? Those have to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here.

As for her vent area, it just looks soiled from loose droppings. I would soak her in a bipucket of warm soapy water and rinse that off to clean her up. Flies can lay eggs and cause maggot infection. A bit of probiotics or cottage cheese and plain greek yogurt are good to help with diarrhea. Worming her with Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer might be helpful as well. Or have your vet do a fecal on her droppings to look for parasites. Reproductive problems can also cause loose poops. She is pretty old for most chickens, and I have been fortunate to have a few reach her age.
Thank you! I will post a video after work today!

She has been a blessing. I got her and her flock mates from a former friend when they were about 4/5, and i’ve had them for 4/5 years or so. the others have passed, but she is still kicking!!!

Thank you! I will post a video after work today!

She has been a blessing. I got her and her flock mates from a former friend when they were about 4/5, and i’ve had them for 4/5 years or so. the others have passed, but she is still kicking!!!

Here you go!

I have decided to give her 5mL of cod liver oil every two days to give her a boost of vitamin A, and i will also deworm her.

Should I do those separately?

Here you go!

I have decided to give her 5mL of cod liver oil every two days to give her a boost of vitamin A, and i will also deworm her.

Should I do those separately?

Back
Top Bottom