Olive Egger Chicks I need help with Gender.

abellchicken

Songster
13 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Chesterfield
I have three Olive egger Chicks weeks old. Can anyone tell their gender for me? They are about 4 1/2 weeks old and a cross between EE and Black copper Maran. Thanks for your help.

51370_244_crop_sharpie.jpg
This is Sharpie.

51370_246_crop_olive.jpg
This one is Olive.

51370_245_crop.jpg
This one is peaches. She is the only one with feathers on her feet.

I just need to know, because I can not keep a Roo. Thanks.

It's honestly too early to tell, in my opinion. The last chick seems to have a single comb which means it'll probably only lay a brown egg, if it is a pullet.

If I were to guess I would say

1. cockerel
2. pullet
3. cockerel

Give it another 3 weeks and then post more pictures once their feathers have come in more.

Quote:
100% agreement on sexes also that stright comb on teh pullet is going to give you brown eggs--needs a pea comb for colored eggs:-( stranger things have happened though:)

Quote:
pea combs are flattened with tiny raised bumps on the sides exactly like the great first picture you took-the middle chick has 1 raised single comb-

How do you tell that that one is a Roo and not a hen? Also What would a hens pea comb look like? Are the other two both straight combs, so brown eggs. Because the were crossed with Marans will the eggs atleast be dark? So many Questions I know, I am sorry.

Hi! The chicks look like they are very happy.

The second, Olive, is definitely a hen. I would say the same for Peaches. Sharpie is a wait and see. Most roos at this age are showing some pink in the comb, but you never know.

In a few weeks, you'll begin to see the development of pointed neck feathers and saddle feathers if the bird is a rooster. If the bird is a hen, her feathers will continue to look like those of the other two.

As for Peaches, she probably will lay a deep brown egg. The pea comb gene is fairly tightly linked to the blue egg gene, so 95% of the time if you don't have the pea comb you will not get olive eggs. However, there's always the 5% chance you will!

Quote:
A hens pes comb would look like the first photo-but stay lightened in color much longer and the bumps wouldnt be as pronounced as a roo peacomb-until they are MUCH older-even then they are smaller than roos. If they were crossed with marans then you should get a deeper brown colored egg-very pretty too!

Back
Top Bottom