OMG !! Pips!

dragonlili

Songster
12 Years
May 26, 2007
N Middle TN
My bantam cochin hen, utterly determined, hatched her first chick, a silkie/americauna "Cosmo Kirby" last Thursday. Soon after, she and the chick had the remainder of the eggs scattered everywhere. So we were constantly pushing them back under her and by Saturday, after she had stay put for a while, Ripple, another silkie/americauna homegrown mix had hatched. Now she was really off her eggs, the remainder of which were Ebay silkie eggs that had travelled 525 miles from Michigan.

Either Tuesday or Wednesday we took out the nesting box and laid it on top of the cage, figured they didn't hatch by then ( should've hatched on Labor Day) and never would. So I was feeding the new crew this morning and figured I'd go bury the eggs. Low and behold, I saw a pip, and a little moving beak. These things had been sitting cold in the sunroom for at least 2 days. outside temps have gone from 80s down to 70s, with overnight lows in the 60s.

Since I don't have my incubator set up, I plopped them under Miss Melody, my white silkie who has decided to go broody again. One chhick is making fairly good progress and both are moving. I don't know if they'll have the strength to hatch, but I pray they will
smile.png

So far, 1 blue Silkie. One died after a long night of trying to get out. But, there is a pip in one of the other eggs. The eggs are very dry so we are going really high on the humidity. Melody left the eggs so we ended up putting them in the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom