OMG what is this thing?

OHChick

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
ok, i got 2 new ameraucanas from a breeder yesterday. they are segregated from the rest of the flock. we picked them up today to pet them, on their heads behind their ears, these wormy looking things were crawling around. it is so disgusting, my skin is crawling. WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE THINGS??? and what do i do to get rid of them?

help!!!

poos are normal, had 1 bloody one yesterday but otherwise seem normal.

Last edited:
egads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
ep.gif

are they maggots?

i wouldnt think so because i see no wounds. i had an alpaca with maggots and these don't look the same.

i'm so grossed out i feel like i need to shower like NOW

Quote:
they ran/wiggled off when we moved the feathers.

i have Catron which is spray permethrin, think that'd be good to use?

Probably lice. Google pictures of poultry lice to see if they look like what your hens have. You can get rotenone dust at a feed shop but it's nasty stuff. Make sure you don't breathe it.

how many treatments does it take to get rid of the lice? i'm so upset. i spent $20 on the birds, $50 on gas to get them, $40 on wormer b/c of their bloody poo and now this.

i'm really thinking of letting my husband cull them. i am not sure i can handle this multitude of issues. i know that sounds awful but they have been here for two days and so far we have

bloody poop
lice (? presumably)
sneezing

not to mention the fact that my mom had to be rushed to the hospital yesterday and is in ICU 3000 miles away. i just can't deal with this all
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom