One duck pacing?

MegBC

Hatching
May 1, 2024
I have four duckies, two Rouen females and two Cayuga (I think one female and one drake). One of my Rouen girls has been a bit of a loner the last few days, and I have a ring camera in the duck house to check on them. The other three are sleeping peacefully, but she is pacing back and forth and not laying down. They were hatched close to Easter, so I don’t think she’s broody yet? She is not quacking, just walking from one side to the other. The other three are ignoring her.

No she couldn't be broody, What are you feeding them? Do they have access to feed and water 24/7 at a month old they need feed and water 24/7 until around 6 weeks old then they can go over night with out both. Is her weight the same as the others. And have you noticed any other symptoms besides what you described? Is she eating and drinking like the rest? What are your temps just making sure she isn't cold.

Nervous behaviour. Is there something she sees that is bothering her? Or are the other ducks dominant and telling her to stay away? Do they lower their heads at her when she gets near them? Do they have plenty of space? These are the first thing that come to mind for me. I suppose it could be dietary but if everyone is eating flock raiser with niacin they should be OK.

They have food/water all day and night, but she isn’t eating much while I’m around. She’s actually the biggest of the four. She’s wagging her tail and will honk/walk up to me when I bring out treats, but just seems annoyed by the other ducks. They follow her around and she will dart away. She did finally join the cuddle pile last night. I’ve set up a second watering dish so she can try to have some space from them. Our temps are between 50-60 overnight right now and they’re in pine bedding a few inches deep inside a shed so no wind.

Sounds like the others aren't picking on her. Is she crested?
Seems like if something was prowling around or some other type of disturbance the others would be up and moving around also.

Can you try to get pictures from your camera of what she is doing? We can immediately rule out broody because broodies stay on the nest and only get off once a day.

Back
Top Bottom