One hen staying in a corner all day...

rcravey

Songster
Dec 29, 2020
Central Texas
One of my hens is laying in a corner of the coop all day long. This corner is where the hens lay eggs (when they don't lay in the nesting box) but she lays there even when there are no eggs. She does get pecked on by some of the others so I wonder if they leave her alone when she lays there so that's why she does it. I pulled her from the coop a few days ago when I first discovered her in the corner. Put her in a crate for a day and night. She ate and drank fine. Why is she doing this? What do I need to do? Thank you!

No, not at all. I read posts about breaking broodiness and just got back from town with a new wired cage. I assume I put it in the outdoor portion of the coop? Even at night?
Broody jail: Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run, run not predator proof) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

This is my Outdoor Broody Breaker -- since I couldn't fit a cage in the coop.

0427211046-jpg.2663106

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/outdoor-broody-breaker.76592/

My broody hen died. I was checking on her every 2-3 hours today to make sure she still had water and food. She was fine the last time I checked on her but she was still very puffy. When we checked the last time, we found her dead. It appears as if she broke her neck. We assume she tried to jump up or got aggitated somehow and broke her neck in the process. I'm scared to ever have another broody hen. I had bought the cage at the pet store and thought it was perfect because it was large enough for her to not be too confined and the water and food dishes were attached and impossible for her to knock down. Any thoughts on what I should have done differently? I'm just sick over this.

Back
Top Bottom