One inactive 2 day old chick can not stand****PICS***

Makomd

Songster
8 Years
Jul 24, 2011
ES of MD , USA
Hopefully someone can help us figure out if there is anything we can do for this chick. S/He lays around most of the time eyes closed and had not stood up for the past day or even possibly since hatch. His right leg seems strong enough, but his left will not bear any weight. The left foot appears to be drawing in and not quite straight like the right. S/He is drinking water with vitamins and electrolites, but not seeming to get any better and I am not thinking it is splay/spraddle legs. The chick has been seperated. Any help would be appreciated

101131_p1030541.jpg

101131_p1030540.jpg

101131_p1030543.jpg

I think my post won't be much help but here goes:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
a nice website if you end up needing to do a brace or chick shoe

Be careful it isn't coccidiosis. Are any of the other chicks lethargic, fluffed up as if cold, etc?

Any bloody poo?

I know this would be above and beyond the foot problem. Coccidiosis is treatable and kills chicks very quickly.

Thanks for the info, may have to try the bracing to see if it helps. No, we have not seen any blood, in its stool, and actually it was more of a green. We are feeding medicated chick starter as well, but of course this little one is not eating, but the others are eating well and roaming all over.

Quote:
If not eating I'd try a little sugar water. You can dip its beak in the water while holding it to get it to drink.

Here is the recipe:
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html
very stressed sugar recipe is further down the page if interested

If not eating and drinking despite encouragement I am sorry to say the chick most likely won't make it from my experience.

Give the chick some vitamins. Some polyvisol with out iron. Give a drop or two for a few days. Also you could give a few drops of warm water. Just put on end of tongue and be careful because it is easy to make them choke and you dont want to do that. You can always feed the chick a little wet food by hand or scrambled egg would be best. By a little I mean a little Like about the size of one of these words in my message.. But make sure the chick is warm enough.

eta O the green poop is what they do after they hatch, thats normal. There could also be something wrong that you just dont know about. But I would try scrambled eggs and warm water. And keeping the chick warm would be your best bet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom