One lonely hen left. And she might be sick :(

Lars Peter

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2024
Hi again,

We have lost Tove, our 6 year old French Copper Maran. Now, only 5 years old Tonny is left:
1715009209144.png

(Me and Tonny in the garden)
Now, it might be hypokonder, since we just had to deal with a very sick Tove, but sometimes the tip of her comb turns sliiightly purple, and it also seems slightly bent over/floppy. What more is, she laid an egg where she sleeps which didn't have a shell, and there were also 2 weird yolk-ish blobs which appeard to be in some sort of membranes. She also has white stuff in her butt-feathers. Other than that, her behaviour seems the same as usual. She did not want the porridge with garlic that the vet suggested though. What could be wrong with her? And what should i do?
1715011324874.png
1715011395190.png
1715011509579.png

We don't know anyone with chickens who can adopt her, and my plan is to not have chickens anymore so getting a new friend(s) is also not something I would do. (Only if i absolutely have to) And this is where my question comes: How long can she be alone? And what if I simply don't find anyone? Does that mean that once you have chickens there is no going back?

Hi again,

We have lost Tove, our 6 year old French Copper Maran. Now, only 5 years old Tonny is left:
View attachment 3823239
(Me and Tonny in the garden)
Now, it might be hypokonder, since we just had to deal with a very sick Tove, but sometimes the tip of her comb turns sliiightly purple, and it also seems slightly bent over/floppy. What more is, she laid an egg where she sleeps which didn't have a shell, and there were also 2 weird yolk-ish blobs which appeard to be in some sort of membranes. She also has white stuff in her butt-feathers. Other than that, her behaviour seems the same as usual. She did not want the porridge with garlic that the vet suggested though. What could be wrong with her? And what should i do?
View attachment 3823269View attachment 3823271View attachment 3823272

We don't know anyone with chickens who can adopt her, and my plan is to not have chickens anymore so getting a new friend(s) is also not something I would do. (Only if i absolutely have to) And this is where my question comes: How long can she be alone? And what if I simply don't find anyone? Does that mean that once you have chickens there is no going back?
Kind of yes. She needs a friend. She will need a friend who is a similar age and breed. If you don’t rehome her she will need a friend

I would not rehome her or get her a friend just yet, she is old and seems to be having some kind of reproductive issue that could indicate she is near the end of her life.

I would not rehome her or get her a friend just yet, she is old and seems to be having some kind of reproductive issue that could indicate she is near the end of her life.
So, if she becomes ill/lethargic/wont eat or drink, it should just be the end?

It is soft yet squishy, and a little elastic, and difficult to break/squeeze.
Can you cut it open with a knife? I'm wondering if it's what's called a lash egg.

So, if she becomes ill/lethargic/wont eat or drink, it should just be the end?
Well ... personally, I wouldn't let a hen just die of terminal illness, starvation or dehydration, but if I see that one of mine is definitely headed that way, I usually euthanize.

The comb turning purple indicates a circulatory issue, could be cardiac problems beginning or maybe a carcinoma pressing on the lungs. Impossible to tell without a necropsy after death, but the "eggs" she's passing do indicate a reproductive problem of some kind, not unusual at her age.

Can you cut it open with a knife? I'm wondering if it's what's called a lash egg.

Well ... personally, I wouldn't let a hen just die of terminal illness, starvation or dehydration, but if I see that one of mine is definitely headed that way, I usually euthanize.
I can't unfortunately as i threw it in a haystack, so i lost it. Tove did a similar egg before she died, so I am afraid Tonny might be headed the same wayl. Tove got euthanized by the vet.

Back
Top Bottom