One lonely hen left. And she might be sick :(

The comb turning purple indicates a circulatory issue, could be cardiac problems beginning or maybe a carcinoma pressing on the lungs. Impossible to tell without a necropsy after death, but the "eggs" she's passing do indicate a reproductive problem of some kind, not unusual at her age.
When would you normally have a chicken euthanized? We have talked about a rule being: "When lethargic, above the age of 5, won't eat or drink"

I would give her a nice warm soak to clean her butt of any poop, then dry her thoroughly with clean towels and blow dryer on low setting. And trim the fluffy butt so the poop will not get stuck so easily.

Then supplement her with one tablet of calcium citrate 600 + vitamin D3 daily for a week to 10 days to see if it helps her to expel whatever it is that is troubling her and at the same time help her forming proper eggshells again.

It is very difficult for a hen to expel an egg without shell as the contracting muscles have nothing solid to push against, so the purplish comb tips might just be caused by the straining efforts.

I am sorry you lost Tove :hugs

When would you normally have a chicken euthanized? We have talked about a rule being: "When lethargic, above the age of 5, won't eat or drink"
There is no hard and fast rule that I know of. You kind of have to let the hen let you know. You can try what @LeFleche suggests above and see how that goes. It's never easy. :hugs

I checked on her this morning. She didn't come out of the coop like she usually does. I also saw this in the "yard":
1715058921759.png

I'm afraid it is probably her last egg attempt :(

I checked on her this morning. She didn't come out of the coop like she usually does. I also saw this in the "yard": View attachment 3823962

I'm afraid it is probably her last egg attempt :(
Get her the calcium citrate tablets ASAP. Hens can develop severe infections when eggs rupture inside, so administering the additional calcium is of vital importance

Get her the calcium citrate tablets ASAP. Hens can develop severe infections when eggs rupture inside, so administering the additional calcium is of vital importance
I can only find ones that are pills/tablets, but I don't think i can get her to eat it. She usually only eats grass. She doesn't even want wheat seeds anymore. How can i get her to consume the tablet?

I can only find ones that are pills/tablets, but I don't think i can get her to eat it. She usually only eats grass. She doesn't even want wheat seeds anymore. How can i get her to consume the tablet?
Put it in her mouth. Works nicer with two people. Don't worry that it's too big as they eat mice, snakes, and lots of things bigger than that.

Put it in her mouth. Works nicer with two people. Don't worry that it's too big as they eat mice, snakes, and lots of things bigger than that.
Thank you. I will break it up into 2 pieces, just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want to make her inhale it so it gets into her lungs.

Just sit her on your lap head facing front, grab her wattles with your left hand and tug down. She will open her beak and you can immediately slip the entire tablet inside using your other hand and then let go of her wattles so she can swallow.

If she is squirmy, bundle her up in a towel first.
I only found capsules (those with edible plastic). How could i give her those? Is the plastic bad for her?

Back
Top Bottom